Thread: Braxton Hicks-how to tell

Kirsty77 Guest

Default Braxton Hicks-how to tell

Hi Everyone

Just wondering how you can tell when your having Braxton hicks contractions.I have had a really tight belly since this morning, not painful but uncomfortable.Is it to early for them?How can I tell?

Melinda Guest

Sounds like BH to me! I had the same thing, from as early as 20w, and that's what the OB said. They definitely weren't painful, just uncomfortable and something I was aware of. My tummy would feel rock hard for a few minutes, and then return to normal.

Kirsty,

Last week I was asking the same question, i have been having BH's on and off for a week or so now and I'm 23 weeks pg today.

Sounds like BH's to me, they will get stronger as you get further into the pg.They are to prepare your body for the labour itself.

Take care Leah

I also have been wodering if I have been having BH’s. I have been getting pains in my lower belly that feel like period pains for the past couple of weeks. I still have 3 weeks until my due date.

Custardtart Guest

Meli, if you only have three weeks to go, you can bet your booty that it's BH. It's nothing to worry about, just an inconvience! I get them whenever I am out walking.

Kerrie

can they really start around the mid 20 wk mark??

Geez thats only a few weeks away for me, If I get them then I think I will panic, just cause I view them as something that happens when the time getg near for thing to be happening- I am not ready for that yet..

Kirsty77 Guest

I know exactly what you mean Candice!I panicked alot!I can't beleive that you get them this early, and the fact that this is my first I had no clue what was going on, all I was thinking was its to early for labour!I'm naive I know!!!

Thank you to everyone for responding, I feel much better knowing what was going on and more importantly that it was normal!>...... 8-[

I don't know if i have been experiencing BH. My OB said that it probably is, but it's not how i expected it to feel! I thought it would feel like a proper contraction, but it was actually like my trousers were too tight around my lower belly, except that when i took my clothes off, it was still really really tight and soild. Is that kind of what it feels like? But it wasn't just for a few minutes, it was more like a few hours! I don't think that's what real contractions will be like - coz if it is, we'll be fine!! It didn't hurt at all, just a tightness. I'm 35wks.