Thread: Breathing movements????

Default Breathing movements????

Is it possible to feel baby doing those practice breathing movements I've heard about. Sometimes I can feel like little panting movements they are very cute, anyone else???

I reckon the only thing I feel is hiccups. At first I was worried the baby was convulsing and then I read one of the threads on here and found out it was hiccups, which makes all of the sense in the world.

I didn't think they did practice breathing until their little heads were poking out, but I'm probably completely wrong.

I was going to suggest that perhaps it was hiccups also. I didn't think they actually took a breath until they were born also, but I do think that they practice opening & closing their mouths & swallowing the fluid?? Now I'm totally bamboozled!

Jayne xox

I'm pretty sure you're right Jayne. Saram, could it be hiccups?

Their lungs don't inflate until their out - that's why they give an almight cry when they're born. I think it's much like a butterfly's wings. The lungs are all sort of squashed up and uninflated and then once they get oxygen in to them they inflate. That's why everyone hangs out for the cry - it's a good sign that things are going well and oxygen is entering the body.

Could be like Jayne says and just swallowing liquid. Yum...........

I thought they did practice their breathing somehow whilst still in utero, although maybe not inhaling as such?? That's one of the reasons why the docs were so concerned when I had the u/s at the end of my PG with K - because he wasn't 'practicing his breathing' as he should have been. Wouldn't have thought you'd be able to feel it from the outside though.
    Last edited by Angel; August 7th, 2007 at 02:20 PM.

I read that they "breathe" fluid from about 11wks in rythmic movements. It's different from hiccups which are jolty this is more like panting. Not sure just thought someone else might have felt something similar

Hi Saram,
    I feel it too and i can see it.... Not exactly sure what it is.
    I heard that when your baby hiccups it is practicing breathing.... Actually i read it somewhere, i cant remember where tho!! Preggo brain i tell ya!
    Goodluck with the birth.

Thanks scorpiomum - pleased I'm not insane. I can see it too! Your on the home stretch now, hope it all goes well

Thanx, You dont have that long to go yourself.... I am wishing you a speedy delivery.

Are you talking about a pulse like movment you can see on the outside of the belly?

I know what hiccups feel like as this lil' one has them quite often but i seem to get this weird pulse movment sometimes to. I thought it might be the cord pushed up against the belly???

Not sure, but i think that waht i have been getting are these also,,,, The bubs gets hiccups heaps,, and it is definetaly not those,,, it is not my own heartbeat,,, or my breathing, as I can time that and just hold my breath, and it is still there. you can actually see my belly rise and fall in a rythmic movement,,, right over bubbas back. I was thinking it must me bubba practising breathing also

Yep - lil_Aussie that's exactly what it's like

Yes!! I definately got this with DS right at the end. It was so noticeable, even to look at...freaky!

I have been feeling the exact same thing tonight. A rhythmic feeling, a little faster than my own breathing, but definately coming from bubs. I feel his hiccups all the time, and it is very different from these.

It's cute isn't it!