Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubs has hiccups

julesy Guest

Question Bubs has hiccups

Does anyone know if there is any indication for something being wrong or out of the ordinary if your baby has hiccups at least once maybe even three times a day??? What causes hiccups in utero?? I know babies can have them, I just didn't think it would be so often!

Hopefully it doesn't mean she is going to have reflux or difficulty feeding...

Julesy

motherduck Guest

Hi Julesy,
    With #2 she seemed to get the hiccups when I would sit down in the evenings sometimes they would last for a good ten to fifteen mins, When she was born she had collic for three months not sure if it's related or not.

julesy Guest

Oh great...just what we want! Apparently as a baby I also had a lot of colic...hope it's not hereditary!!

All of my three pregnancies I have a hiccupy baby....my pelvis literally vibrates with the strength of the hiccup!

Neither Olivia or Charlie suffered from colic. I asked my OB about it and he suggested that it is simply healthy swallowing of amniotic fluid, so it is a GOOD sign.

Charlie as a new born in hospital carried on loud strong hiccups....my pead told me it is a good sign that they are feeding well and have a well developed swallowing function, so are less likely to suffer from reflux, or something along those lines.......

Matilda had hiccups all the time & Jovie tends to have them more, at least twice daily I feel them.

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Both of my children got the hiccups while I was pregnant with them and neither have had colic. Towards the end of both my pregnancies, (hiccups) each time would last up to 20 minutes, became more frequent and would happen anytime of the day and night. I was watching a TV show the other night and apparently babies get the hiccups for different reasons than children and adults. Like Lucy said it is to do with healthy swallowing of amniotic fluid and to prepare baby for suckling and breathing when born.

Yeah, I've had the same with both pgs too. This bub had hiccups while the ob was listening to the heart with the doppler very early on. I think it was only about 12 weeks or something. Long before I could feel it but it sounded weird! It's nothing to worry about and apparently it doesn't annoy them like it does us so they are not uncomfortable!

I have a hiccupy bub in utero too!!! Some days, she can have them five or six times a day, lasting for at least a minute or two at a time. For the last two weeks, I have felt them down low on the left hand side where her chest is.....it's how I know she's head down and in the right place in preparation for birth

skyelar Guest

Yep lots of hiccups here too!

My bub's has had hiccups since about week 30 at least twice a day. My nephew also had hiccups while in the whomp and hiccupped every now and then after he was born but soon grew out of it. Ive heard it is a good sign that bubs is practicing his/her swallowing as it should in while in the whomb and its nothing to worry about at all.. midwives ive mensioned it to also agree.

julesy Guest

Thanks girls, I feel much better! It was something I meant to ask my midwife at my last visit, but as usual, I forgot!

I was actually thinking of posting the same question as mine has the hiccup all the time!!! It actually has it at the moment!! I was worried as i wondered if it was something i was doing i.e sitting the wrong way or something.... I feel sorry for the poor little thing as I have been getting the hiccups myself often and they are a bit annoying!!!!

Sal Guest

My bub hiccupped all the time! He then had the hiccups a lot once born (but not reflux!).

Last pregnancy Mason had them heaps, and no problems with him either, just a hiccupy baby after he was born for awhile

This one just hiccuped for the first time tonight for awhile, was cute, and funny, as he is breech so was up the top, feels better than down the bottom actually, that was a bit more annoying after awhile

Alexander hiccuped heaps in the last trimester... he is still hiccuping heaps now that he is born, but he seems to sleep right through it, so it's obviously not bothering him too much.

Apparently hiccups are a fantastic sign that bubs lungs are maturing fabulously and that their swallow reflexes are top notch, thus possibly eliminating reflux. I have no idea if this is true or not but Im pretty sure I read it in a reliable pregnancy book.
    My bub has the hiccups atleast twice a day for about half an hour.

tan1979 Guest

Rhys had the hiccups heaps in the last few weeks and gets them a lot now as well, no colic yet though. I was told in hospital that it's normal and nothing to worry about.

Yep I heard the same thing as Anna, other than I'm not so sure about the reflux thing because Zander hiccupped quite alot, but still ended up with reflux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast