thread: Can you still feel bub moving and kicking during labour?

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

Can you still feel bub moving and kicking during labour?

Was just wondering whether you can still feel bub moving and kicking when your in early stages of labour and full blown labour? I keep having mild back aches, and think it might be the onset of labour, however bub is still as active as ever and kicks me constantly.. so I was wondering if I can use that as a guide and know that if bubs kicking, then its definately not labour yet.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Yep. DD was kicking me the whole way out lol!

Jun 2010
    Tiny Town

DD moved a lot during labour! Gave the midwives the run around, they were trying to monitor her and she kept moving away. She actually gave me some massive kicks that made me vomit, and one really big one on her way out - that was the strangest feeling ever!

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2005

i dont remember feeling any kicking or movement.. i think i may have been too focused on the contractions to notice!

Jun 2011

I also don't remember feeling her move or kick during prelabour or active labour. DD was monitored a few times during this period.

Jan 2006
    Sydney

My second moved heaps during labour, he was still kicking around when his head was out, so amazing!
    Last edited by SweetPea; September 16th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

hmm, so I could still be/go into labour even if bubs moving? I was starting to use his movements as a guide of how long ive got til labour begins lol. Everyday i feel him move or kick and think 'ah not today'... Been having mild back aches for about three days on and off, and was worried it might be a lead up to the big day, but then again I have been doing a lot of house work and 'nesting', so it could just be the strain of all that.

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Feb 2010
    Gold Coast

I don't remember feeling a lot of movement once in full blown labour, but the MWs did have to keep adjusting the monitors to find DS, so obviously he was moving. Pre-labour did go on for quite a while for me - I realised I was in pre-labour when I just *had* to have 11 showers in one night, and couldn't sleep until the sun rose.

Trust your instincts. When it happens, you'll know it. There really is no mistaking the change of intensity and frequency of contractions. All the best!

May 2004
    Shepparton

Babies move all the way throught to birth. If your baby stops moving for extended periods you might want to get baby checked out.

Jul 2009
    Australia

I honestly could not tell you! He was pretty active in the early stages of labour but once the contractions picked up i didn't take any notice.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

yep, both my kids kicked and rocked and had a good old dance party the whole time. even as they were crowning and being pushed out

It is also their way of actually helping the birth process, they push with their legs against the uterus that is compressing down and that helps apply pressure on the cervix to dialate and later, to help bubs move down into the birth canal.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia

Never noticed, but he did get the hiccups for a little bit.

Add Butterfly Dawn on Facebook

Aug 2008
    Climbing Mt foldmore

All mine where active at the start and quiet once things we seriously happening. Guess we were all concentrating lol

Jun 2009
    Brisbane, Qld

I never noticed my DS kicking or moving throughout labour either. Perhaps I was just too focused on contractions etc. I was induced though and had monitors on me all the time so he was closely monitored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

yeah, my bubba is still very active, but running out of room and sits right up under the ribs and down in the pelvis. Ill be 41 weeks tomorrow. Im hoping labour starts soon :-(

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

i had two 41 week babies. the last few days get hard. Can you plan a few nice things just for you over the next few days? a movie date with your partner or a friend, massage, nice candle lit spa, your fave takeaway, coffee with a friend, stroll with you son.... Book up your calendar so you have things to look forward to, if baby upsets your plans i'm sure you won't mind.