Thread: Can't sleep

Default Can't sleep

Hi there,

I am almost 36 weeks pregnant and I am finding it harder to get to sleep at night.... Anyone got any tips for me??? I go to bed really tired but end up laying awake staring at the ceiling or I start thinking about something and can't stop..... arghhhhh I know I am in nesting phase but it is soooo frustrating....

Shell xxx

morgan78 Guest

It sucks when that happens & the more you think about it the harder it is to sleep.
    you can try getting back up & having a drink of warm milk - try not to turn on too many lights. read a really boring book .
    The other trick is to get comfy in bed and then count back from 100 in lots of 3
    eg 100, 97, 94, 91 & so on and if necessary repeat again in lots of 4's, 6's, 7's 8's 9's
    it helps to focus your mind on only one thing.
    good luck and i am sending you lots & lots of sleepy vibes

Thanks for the tips..... Just one of the many joys of pregnancy ;-)

Will be watching this thread...need ideas here too...

Shell, have you tried doing some basic meditation before going to bed? For me its really important to unwind and not "do" anything that requires too much brainpower from about 1 hr before I want to go to sleep. I find reading really helps me get tired. But forcing yourself to focus on one thing should help a bit!

I'm a bit similar to Roquen - except i try and write for thirty minutes ot an hour before i settle into bed. Even if it's just a stream of consciousness (where you literally write down your thoughts as they pop into your head) - if you can do i continuosly for a good period of time it can help clear your head and let you doze off.
    When it gets really bad i down two panadol and they knock me out... and because i know they work for my sleeping issues i try not to use them for anything else.
    I know it sounds impossible - but try not to think about sleep either. I find the nights where i am worried about not sleeping are the nights i sleep the worst - otherwise ive been sleeping right through all night (yep i got lucky and have no uncomfortable need for toilet stops every hour either).
    HTH, good luck!

I had a really good sleep last night, had some sleepy tea (all safe during pregnancy) and slept really well. Mind you woke up with the alarm clock instead of falling back to sleep like I normally do, so making the most of getting up early - put a face mask on, about to do some pregnancy pilates and meditation before I get ready for work......

Yeah Roquen it has been ages since I have done my meditation cd's and I think they are long overdue, definitely going to start doing them again before bed to help me unwind and relax before bed.

DoubleK Guest

oh i remember those days.. in my final few weeks, i couldnt go back to sleep when dp left for work (at 5am) so i got up and did some housework, spoke to mum on the phone - she started work at 6.30.. then usually fell asleep on the couch about 10am!

sorry i dont have any ideas to help, but i know exactly what you're going through!!

I have the same problem - the other night I went to bed at 1am. Just cant' sleep. Luckily Im finished work now so can sleep in the mornings.....I find each time I change sleeping positions - left side/right side my bladder is full so have to pee 5 times before I fall asleep. I'm so over the toilet!!!

It may sound weird, but when I am pregnant I fall asleep and actually sleep much better when I am naked rather than in my PJ's or nightie. I feel less constricted and am therefore able to relax.

Yeah I don't wear PJ's either and sleep much better......

The joys of pregnancy and loss of sleep, it is just preparing us for the endless sleepless nights ahead ;-)

I wear a nightie but don't cover myself up and have to sleep with the 'fan'....