Thread: CANT STOP THE ITCH

Jennifer Guest

Default CANT STOP THE ITCH

Hi

I have recently developed an itch and rang my doctor as i was concerned. He sent me for a blood test to check my liver function and the test results came back normal. Since then i have noticed its getting worse, my feet, hands, arms all itchy!! I was nearly in tears the other night, it keeps me awake and i was just so frustrated. I have been bathing in Pinetarsol and using calamine lotion but nothing seems to keep it away for long. Is anyone else experiencing this?? I am going to try and see my doctor again in the morning... fongers crossed he wont think i am a pain, but if i have this for the next 5 weeks i am sure to go insane!!!

hey jen i hope its a sign of labour coming on!!!

Baby_Crazy05 Guest

I itch too ... however I put my down to stress (lots going on other than baby).

You should see my legs! It's horrendous!

I've had it before, and it comes and goes and generally when there's just too much going on too handle, or I'm overthinking stuff and stressing myself out even when there's no need.

You feeling stressed? Or perhaps you've had an allergic reaction to something? Used anything different lately maybe?

I understand how frustrating and down right annoying it is ... hope your doc can give you some answers.

Good luck!

Jennifer Guest

Hi

Been to the doctors and he said its hormonal. Just another thing to experience i guess. He did write a script for some cream to help with the itch, so we will see how that goes.

Hoping the next 5 weeks fly!!!

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, I itched like crazy for the last 6 weeks of my pregancy. I also had the liver test done but that was clear. I understand how you feel as I used to scratch so hard that I drew blood on several occassions. I use to find some relief from hubby rubbing moisturising cream especially on my back.

Sharon

Hi Jennifer, I posted this in another thread but it's advice that might help you too:

Ok... this should work: I had it soooo bad that not only was my nose blocked but I had sneezing fits/itching face/itchy eyes/itchy inside the ears... the final straw came when I would "wet" myself every time I sneezed which started to occur in my 2nd trimester. I spoke to my midwife and said that i needed a solution to this... she also said that it was caused by progesterone...I asked her were any antihistamines safe... she consulted this big thick book and gave me 2 brands: Avil and Polaramine. They are both apparently perfectly safe for pregnant women. They do make you drowsy but she said if you take one before bed it might actually help you sleep. I take Polaramine and it's worked... I feel 98% better and i suspect that when my symptoms return it's only because the tablet has worn off (they only last for 6 hours). Also, the pharmacist saw that I was pregnant and agreed that these 2 medications were safe. Better still they are cheap. Polaramine costs $10 which isn't too bad. You also don't need a prescription but the phamacist might like to hear that you've spoken to your midwife/OB about it. Good Luck!

Kellee Guest

Ooh... yep, I was going to recommend Polaramine too. I have been taking it every now and then for the past few months because of allergies. I actually get atopic eczema which seems to be related to hormones, and because it's somehow related to allergies too it really helps with the itching. I hope you find some relief - I know how much it sucks. Good luck.

Hi again Jennifer.... since I posted in here last time I've developed another kind of itch that's actually gone on to change my pregnancy status to "complication". Don't want to worry you but if your symptoms (especially on your hands and feet) get worse make sure you mention it to your ob/carer again. Check out my pregnancy thread for detailed info or do a Google search on "Cholestasis of pregnancy". Hope it hasn't got worse for you though