Thread: Cervical Check

angelique Guest

Default Cervical Check

Hi Girls,

I was wondering what is involved in a cervical check at this stage of the pregnancy and what does it mean? I am due for mine on monday which is when I will be heading into my 39th week

Hi angelique,

Its not too unpleasant. They just do a regular internal to feel how or if the cervix is effaced or soft or dilated. Not too bad,just puhing and poking only takes about 5 minutes or less.They maybe interested to see if you are going to go early.

Pauline

mizzsocial Guest

I found it was kinda the same as a pap-smear, except took a little longer.. depends on how quick your doctor/midwife is !! LOL..

Mine was only about 30 seconds which was good, and i had mine when i was 39 weeks, and my doctor did the internal and found that my cervix was thinned out, so things were progressing nicley..

Baby_Crazy05 Guest

Is this routine?

I haven't had one and there's been no mention of one .... maybe they might bring it up if I end up having to go to my next appointment on Tuesday ...

angelique Guest

Thanks everyone for your reply.

I am new to this and have no Idea. I think my doc is just keeping tabs on us.

xxooo

Hi Girls

A cervical check is an internal where they feel the cervix. Personally I can not understand why they do this. It only tells you what your cervix is doing at the time of the exam. A couple of hours later things could have changed. I believe that some doctors can't think unless they have there fingers inside your .... em ..... personal bits. I have never done a cervical check at the antenatal clinics, and it is very rare for me to do a VE during labour.

The only time i had a cervical check was when i was pg with Nick, and that was only because i was overdue by 7 days.

Can i just say too, Alan, you are a legend! I just wish you were in SA

angelique Guest

Do u guys think I should object to it if it is not necessary? I really don't know what to do as I am not overdue or anything.

Maybe it is routine for some doctors to know when you will start labour so they can be ready (and maybe to give you some sort of Idea as well)?

xxooo

Hi angelique

Some Doctors do a cervical check as a matter of routine. Personally I can not see any benefit in checking your cervix at 39 weeks. I suggest that you ask your doctor why he/she wants to do the check, and what information he can get from doing this. If you are not happy with his/her response then you can refuse. When ever you have a VE there is always the chance of introducing bugs.

100% agree with Alan!!

I had one check when I was in labour with Alecia, and one (included s&s) when I was overdue with Emily. I never had one when pg with Violet, even though I was experiencing preterm labour for days before.

Tanya