Thread: chances of haemmorhaging are....

Default chances of haemmorhaging are....

Hiya all,
    Been reading up on letting the placenta pulse after birth and also about the injection they give you to speed up the delivery of it.
    I do not want the injection but was wondering, as I'm sure my midwife will use the haemmorage argument, what are the stats on haemmorhaging after birth if the placenta is delivered au natural? Is it high or does it depend on the birth?
    Assuming I have a good labor I would be putting bubs to breast asap ...so that would help with the placenta expulsion, yes?

There is a slight increase chance of haemorrhaging if you do not have the injection. (Iím not sure what the numbers are). However the worst haemorrhage I have seen was after the woman had the injection. Breastfeeding very soon after birth helps to prevent excessive bleeding, as can massaging your fundus. (The top of the uterus). Also if you do start to haemorrhage they can give you the injection then, and if this injection is given into a vein then the drug will take effect within a minute.

Thanks for that Alan!

just wondering why you wouldnt want to have the injection? i said i would have it routinely rather than if necessary or not at all, only because i didnt know much about it and this is what the midwife recommended. so what are the benefits and risks and what made you decide not to have it?

I don't have a choice - because I have hemorrhaged the previous two times after giving birth I have been told that I will need synto via a drip after giving birth in order to get the uterus contracting and hopefully stop or reduce a hemorrhage.

Hollo - I'm wanting it because I don't want my body injected with drugs just to tick off the 'placenta delivered' box quicker, and (more importantly) bubs will get some extra blood and hence iron etc. once he/she's born. I'd never really thought about it before finding BellyBelly's website....there's a lot of posts on the benefits of letting the placenta pulse instead of clamping it.....anyway, who knows what will ultimately happen at bub's birth.....it's just a preference

Not to scare you or anything but even with the injection the placenta can still be retained and you can hemmorage. This happened to me.

Hollo
    There are two drugs they can inject. Syntocinon and syntometerine.
    Both these drugs have a number of side efects including:-
    low BP, racing heart, ECG changes, water intoxication, nausia, vomiting, dizziness, rash, chest pain, and probably others that I can not remember.
    Of the two drugs syntometrine is the more dangerous a the side efects are more common.

thanks for the info. its something to think about... i better think realquick though since i am due in 5 days!! hopefully sooner :-)