Thread: Chicken pox contact in 3rd Tri

Default Chicken pox contact in 3rd Tri

Just a quick Q. I have been doing some research on the net and am getting conflicting results. My DS came down with the chicken pox over xmas and i am concerned of the effesct this may have to bubs. I spoke to my OB a few weeks back when my niece got them and was told that as long as i had had them it would be fine, however the info i am finding on the net is stating that between 32 and 40 weeks it is not advisable to come into contact with chickem pox ](*,) . However, it does not state if that is if you have or have not had the pox previosly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Kas

Hi kas

If you have had the chicken pox you should be OK providing that you did not just have a very mild dose.
    If you did only have a mild dose your will be OK but you have a very small chance of becomming very ill.

The worry with chicken pox is that in early pregnancy it can cause birth defects. As your baby is just about fully formed this is not a problem for you

Thank Alan, I just wanted to double check - I knew you would have some info for me!

Kas - I also have possibly come into contact with chicken pox recently, but I had it quite badly as a 15 year old and wasn't concerned. I can't find my 12 week blood test results to check, but I'm pretty sure I was checked then and found to be immune to chicken pox. You could try your ob to see if they checked that when they did everything else at 12 weeks.

Thanks Jen all is good. My DS is all scabbed over now and my OB said as long as I had had it growing up and not just a mild dose i would be fine.....

Intersting fact... :-k ...My SIL told me that if you are b/f a baby and you yourself have had the pox and the baby comes in contact with someone who is contageous they will not get it because they are getting the antibodies from the breast milk!!!! I found that to be quiet interesting.

Hi kas

Yes that is true. When you breastfeed you pass on all your antibodies to your baby. However they are only effective for 6 months or so. But by this time your baby has started to make their own antibodies

WOW Alan Kas, very interesting fact aren't these little bubbies very skilled

Yes becky They may get the boys a looking but they also sent them bugs a trucking