Thread: Clexane injections in Pregnancy?

Default Clexane injections in Pregnancy?

Hi!

My doctor wanted me to start clexane injections last Saturday.

Anyway, I was reading the blurb that came with it to my DH, and we both agreed there is too much risk involved with taking it while I'm still pregnant, to both myself and our baby.

I'm really worried what my doctor will say if I don't take it, but more worried if I do take it IYKWIM.

Has anyone here been on it prior to the birth of their child?

I'd love to hear other people's experiences with the injections in 3rd trimester.

Melissa

Hey Melissa,

Here's a thread that you might find useful... Clexane during pregnancy.

Hi Melissa, I am on clexane injections and have been since my IVF egg pick up. The IVF clinic and my OB said it would be fine but it would put me in the high risk pgy category. I am taking it as i had to come of all of my medication for rhuematoid arthtitis prior to IVF as i was not conceiving naturally whilst taking it. My OB is still undecided if she will leave me on it for the whole pgy or not but is along the thoughts that if everything is ok, why risk coming off it and potentially having a problem. She is keeping a close eye on me, so I am not concerned except for excess bleeding at birth. But from what i understand i will be taken off it about 3-4 weeks before my EDD then induced after monitoring about 2 weeks later after it is out of my system. I am also taking 1/2 an asprin daily so my other option is to stop the clexane and up my dosage of asprin but OB as i mentioned before is still not sure which road to take. I guess i will discuss it with her further next week at my next appointment.

My only advise to you is to do what is comfortable for you. And if Dr is upset you are not taking it explain why and see what reply you get.

Good Luck with the rest of your pgy.

Hi!

Thanks Kas and Angel

I think my doctors main concern, was that I was going to form another DVT. I had a blood clot in my lung back in 2001, which they found only after being admitted to hospital for something else.

I'm going to see the doctor today to see if I can make sense of actually going on clexane. He did an xray and VQ scan (kind of a CT scan) last friday, which both were clear of clots. I get back my results from a urine and blood test today that I did friday too.

My OBGyn said that it is entirely up to me, and to go with my gut feeling on this one. She had also said, at our hospital, they usually only put women on it after birth not before. But I know after birth my doctor wants to put me on warfrin.

I've been surfing the net for info to help me decide also. So far, I have a better knowledge of the subject, but I'm still not sure of the side effects in later pregnancy.

Thanks again!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,
    How did you get on at the Drs today?? Did you get any firm answers? For's/ Against's. I would be interested to hear what your Dr has to say about use in the last few weeks of pgy, as i may find myself in that position also.

Take care Kas

Hi Kas,

The doctor was pretty informative this time about the reasons behind putting me on the injections. He said that a lot of the information they put in the information sheets that come in the medication boxes, are scare tactics. They are extremes, of what can happen. He has apparently put many women up here on Clexane prior to birth, with no hassles. At this stage, the dosage your are put on is very minimal. It's after the birth that it is increased.

So far nothing has gone wrong here. [-o<

I don't think my Doctor would put me on anything that would harm me or our little boy. I just wish he had told me more about it all before he put me on it.

Melissa

Melissa, glad to hear you got some firm answers. I take it from your comments then that you are now taking it? If so a word of advice...I was told and can now verify that it doesn't hurt as much midway between your belly button and your side(about a hand width from b/button.) I find it hurts the most, close to b/button or where there is less fat. So i tend to sit up while DH gives it to me in order to have a bit more fat to put it into.

I hope you and bubs are both well. Take care.
    Kas

Hi Kas,

Yes, I've decided upon further dicussion with my doctor, that it is in bubs and my best interests to take the clexane injections. What's one more injection to me when I'm diabetc and already take 5 shots a day for that in the belly? I have to remember where each shot goes and spread them out. Somedays I find it hard to get a spot that doesn't hurt. I do have some favourite spots, because our son has made it numb from stretching out my belly.

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Here I am telling you where i have found it hurts less for injections and you are a natural by the sounds of it - now with 6 injest. a day.

I have been wondering about that!!! Is it harder or easier to get those darn needles in with a tighter bigger belly?? I have noticed as my belly has grown they are starting to hurt more- either that or DH's technique is suffering and he always hitting bruising under the skin. #-o

Take care Kas

Gracey Guest

Hi Melissa,
    I just found your post online and it looks like we are in the same boat. I am on clexane injections and taking insulin...it is certainly a 'pain'...I am 29 weeks pregnant and so far so good, baby is pretty much onsize, if you believe the ultra sounds, and no excessive bleeding. What happens after the delivery is a bit of a worry, but that is why the OB/GYN's get the big bucks. I have been on clexane since about week 4 (an eternity ago now). I hope it all goes well...perhaps we can compare notes

Best of Luck