Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerned about change in bub's position

Default Concerned about change in bub's position

Alan - i need your expertise!!!
    Ergh - i have just had the worst day today...just generally feel like crap.

I'm pretty sure it's due to bub's position changing. She's usually head down but i've been getting this constant kicking down really low (since last night) - as though she's kicking my cervix and bum iykwim. It's quite uncomfortable and sometimes painful. But then i'm also getting firm prods under my right rib. Has she turned on the side - transverse? perhaps???

I've also had incredible lower back pain and heavier leakage of discharge (sorry if TMI) that has corresponded with bub's change in position.

On top of all this i just have not been feeling myself - extra lethargic, loss of appetite - just blahhh.

Been considering calling the birthing suite all day just to check as i'm super paranoid after having a severe concealed placenta abruption at 34 weeks last preg (had pretty much no symptoms - just felt off and was lucky enough to have gone to hosp when i did). But don't want to seem over paranoid when i'm pretty sure it has to do with bub's position.

Had a UTI which was successfully treated about a fortnight ago, and i've been keeping up cranberry tablets and water intake, so i think i can rule that out. And i've been on hands and knees position frequently throughout last night and today but no good so far with making bub shift.

Anyway - sorry for the ramble - i'm just concerned. Desperately want a VBAC this time round so want bub in best position. And is this amount of discomfort normal for a shift in position?

Thanks

Hey Rae. I'm not Alan, but figured I'd be allowed to pop in and say I hope you feel better soon hehe.

Having read Ella's birth story somewhere a while ago, I wouldn't think you paranoid for getting checked out at the birth centre. And it's much better to go and get checked and find out it's nothing

I found most of the 'kicks' I got were down low, but DS was head down at the time, so I figure he was punching me! I never felt kicks up high in the ribs even tho his little legs were up there. I could also never work out the bubs position. LOL.

Hope you feel better soon. (could it be sugar shock from mars bar slice? hehehe - I checked out your pg journal earlier LOL)

Thanks Liz - i sure hope she's still head down. Lol at the Mars bar slice!

Oh i'm so confused. I've had some dinner and generally feel a bit better but the damn kicking, punching..whatever is not ceasing. ALL DAY - does she not sleep?! And i'm wondering if the back pain has anything to do with the big cleaning day i had yesterday....silly i know.

If it keeps up tonight i'll call cause i just won't be able to sleep like this.

Rae - I'd definately call them, you know how much your instincts meant last time and you were right. I don't think anyone is paranoid to call, but especially not you after all you went through with Ella and this pregnancy. If it means anything, I have a strong feeling you should at least call.

Thinking of you Hun

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Rae, I don't think you are paranoid at all either. Call them hun, get checked out if you can. Better to be safe than sorry. I did get the most un comfortable in my pelvic region with movements, so it does sound relatively normal, but cleaning all day isn't good either!!!!!!!

Take care hun, and keep us posted!

Rae, I agree with the other girls, if your instincts are telling you somethings up, then go and get it checked out. There's no way anyone in their right mind would think you were being paranoid given your history!

Hope you're feeling better and everything is OK.

Rae please give them a call - your instincts are always right! Remember I'm only a phone call away to mind El xoxo

Thanks girls. I'm feeling ok right now. I've had a few BH but the uncomfortable kicking seems to have ceased - for now. Maybe the BH have helped her move around a bit?

Don't worry - i'll definitely call if i'm still feeling strange

Hi Rae

The symptoms you are having could be caused by many things including a change of position. The kicking you are feeling down low could be kicking but it could be head butts. The only way I could tell for sure which way your baby is would be to feel your tummy, or to somehow teach you how to feel your own tummy. Sometimes you can get an idea of the baby’s position by using a Doppler.
    Heavier discharge could be related to the kicks to the cervix. Providing it is not smelly or itchy then that is nothing to worry about.
    One last thing. I am a big believer in a woman’s instincts, so if you still feel something is wrong go and get it checked.

Thanks Alan. Been keeping an eye on the discharge and it all seems normal - just a bit more excessive - so i'm not worried about thrush or a UTI. I've been trying to have a feel of my tummy to get an idea of her position but i'm stumped. Usually i have a bit of an idea of what part i can feel but i'm confused. I can feel firmer areas but can't make out what body part i'm touching? Any suggestions?

ETA: Ok what i can tell you is that she's usually (for last few weeks when checked) in OP position and was even 1/5 engaged at one point. Tummy hasn't changed greatly in shape - perhaps dropped slighly lower if anything.
    I can currently feel a large firm area about 2 inches under my left rib (it'll shift only slightly when i prod) - not sure if it her head, bum, knees?? Then it's all firm, prob more to the left side of my tummy, all the way down to my pelvis. I'll occasionally get a small firm prod right out to the right side - about level with my belly button. Can't feel anything but all firmness when i feel around my pelvis area. Feel kind of kicking or scratching? feelings down towards cervix - that's where i feel most movement. That prob makes no sense what so ever - lol! Best i can describe it.
    Last edited by *Rae*; March 29th, 2007 at 10:46 PM.

The only thing I can think of, and I'm not too sure how well it will work is for you to phone me and I can try ant talk you through feel your tummy One big problem I have is that I only have a mobile phone so it could cost you a bit
    Do you have a doppler?

If it's not too much trouble i'd love to speak to you. I'll call you -is your no on your site?

0429 709 008

Hi Alan,
    My phone is playing up - bad area. Thank you so much for the advice - i feel heaps better and a bit more confident with feeling for bub's body shapes.
    Thanks for taking the time to speak to me

You are welcome
    Next time you have a check up ask the midwife if she will show how to do it
    My phone also went off so I think it wa the network playing up

Rae sorry you have been feeling awful. How are you today hun? I hope you are feeling better.

Well another huge thanks to Alan. What a great guy! Willing to chat to me at 11pm to help me map my belly and feel reassured. He was very helpful and provided me with great instructions over the phone to give me a better idea of Tia's position. From what we could gather-over the phone- it looks as though she is still head down with her body actually in the prime position for labour (no longer posterior but her body is on the outside ). All the strange and more frequent movement may be from her head being further engaged, pushing around down there, and this pressure on my cervix can also explain the extra leakage and more frequent need to pee.

I feel one hundred percent better today! Just speaking to Alan helped settle my nerves too. I guess i'm just getting to that point in the preg where i unexpectedly had Ella iykwim so i'm finding myself getting a little anxious.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Alan!!! Thanks to you i enjoyed a good night's sleep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast