Thread: Constipation

Default Constipation

Hi Ladies

Here I`m thinking I`m going to get away without any constipation during pregnancy, but here I am at 37.5 weeks pregnant with the symptom. Okay ladies could you let me know what worked for you to relieve this problem. I don`t go back to my OB until Wednesday so will let him know then.

Take Care

Deeanne

Hey Deeanne,

There are a couple of threads on constipation during pg HERE and HERE.

Hope you're able to find something in them that helps!! Good luck!

I have found cammomile tea (either drunk or in bath water) helps somewhat, and flaxseed oil on my bran for breakfast

Thanks Angel for those threads, I`ll take a look at them.

Rachel - thank you for your tip, sounds like it`s worth a go.

Take Care

Deeanne

Drink water like its going out of fashion!!! I try to get through abot 3L a day, and I haven't had any constipation for weeks. In fact - at the moment the body is going quite the other way. I'm a very efficient waste machine the last couple of weeks!
    Fi 8-[

LOL Fi I was like that during my last two weeks too...I also drank around 2L of water a day as a minimum and ate fruit or apple sauce like crazy!

Hello,

Warning : Possibly TMI for the squeamish

I'm not pregnant but consider myself a bit of an expert on constipation (well, everyone has to have something they're good at).

I have problems with it in the latter stages of my menstrual cycle, irrespective of the fact that I eat a diet rich in fibre, exercise and drink plenty of water. I think I'm just bloody lucky really.

What I've found that works like a charm and is completely harmless is psyllium husk. It is not absorbed by the body. About a teaspoonful in a glass of orange juice each morning should see you right. Just a warning, it might take a couple of days to work but it really makes life a lot easier. I take it every day. It can be found in supermarkets and is not expensive.

Hope you get some relief soon!

nicoak Guest

i have been taking slippery elm for heart burn and can vouch that it is also VERY good at helping with the odd hard stool

After I had DD the nurses asked if I had had a bowel movement yet, as I had internal stitches etc, I hadn't & so they suggested passionfruit, as it really get's you going, I am a huge lover of passionfruit but refuse to pay almost $1 per fruit, so I got some from a friend, but they have since cut doiwn their trees & we planted some but those damned possums keep eating them so I have nothing!!!

Anyways try them...
    I also believe Metamucil which is that Psyllium husk stuff is good for preg women!

I've found apples are the one fresh fruit that really help to prevent constipation for me. I've found them to be amazing. I was suffering quite badly from constipation - and had even resorted to drinking prune juice (looks like liquid vegemite!) and my Ob told me to eat 1-2 apples a day. I followed his advice and within 2 days everything was back to normal. Soo much nicer to eat an apple or 2 a day than drink prune juice and eats prunes!

I go for the psylium husks too and just sprinkle some on my cereal! I get it in the health food aisle at woollies.