Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Contractions?

Default Is it Contractions?

Hi Ladies,

Wondering how you'd best describe contractions? I was having some pains last night but they felt too high up to be contractions maybe?

Are contractions like an all over uterine / period pain type feeling, or can it be just lower down in the pelvic area around the cervix, or can it start a bit higher up at the top end of the uterus to push bubs down?

Just trying to make some sense of the pains I was getting last night. Started as just lower pelvic pain, like it was right on the cervix, then went a lot higher up to what did feel like the top of the uterus.

any ideas? or what do you think contractions feel like?

not sure.. but ide like to know too.. hopefully someone will pop in here and tell

How are you feeling now?

For me the contractions felt like waves of very bad period pain that lasted for about 30 seconds every three minutes. A couple of weeks before I had 'practice contractions' that only stuck around an hour or so then dissapeared. They were enough to make me 1cm dilated although it was still a couple of weeks before I gave birth.

still feeling some pains lower down every now and again but nothing constistent.

I didn't think my pains were what i expected contractions to feel like, but then again you just never know. Have an appointment with my Ob tomorrow and will see how things look then. Maybe bubs is just getting into position cuase up untill now didn't feel like it was engaged as such.

Time will tell.

Just made a cuppa and going to sit and watch Bold & Beautiful - maybe I'll laugh so much it will send me into labour!! LOL

I've been getting period like pains and cramps lower down and on the sides of my belly and higher up. My ob said its the start of Braxton Hicks. I am also getting sharp intense pain that lasted around 10 secs on my pubic bone area, which was the baby putting pressure on my pelvis because its heads down now. Usually they say i will be alot different to what you normally feel if they are the real thing

Hi Juleswa
    It sounds like it could well be the start of early labour. It is quite common to first feel the pain low down. Put your hand on your belly and you may feel it getting hard each time you have a pain. The bad news is that this can go on for a few days or even stop and start again before labour is established.
    It is a good sign that your baby will soon be in your arms.

Just wanted to say that my labour pains were only really low down - just above the pubic bone. When we rang the hossy they kept telling me I was in pre labour as the pain was too low to be stage 1. When they eventually agreed to assess me (6 hours into labour and 4 phone calls to hossy) I was 6cms dilated.

The pain was not as I'd heard others describe it and I guess that's why the midwives thought it was pre labour. It was nothing like what I thought were BH pains during the pregnancy.

If things get regular and you think it's labour call the hossy and be persistent if they fob you off. Sometimes they get it wrong.

Best of luck. Sounds to me like your bub could be here soon.

Sounds like pre labour & could last a while yet, but it looks like you haven't been on for 2 days, so maybe you got lucky!

no still here - but things to feel like they're moving a bit more. Heaps more 'contractions' sometimes extremely consistent, then nothing for a few hours. Had a show this morning and (apologies for TMI in advance) did a huuuuuge poo, have back ache too.

Just can't tell if it is labour or not? I guess if I'm not sure, then I'm not huh? I'm imagining I'd really know when things are definately happening??

Hi Juleswa
    It sounds like your baby will soon be on its way
    Giid luck hun

Yeah, bubs on it's way for sure.

You will know when its definitely real and you will be holding bubs pretty soon

Oh how exciting bubs is on its way.
    I know its difficult especially with your first, i only had braxton hicks once but its totally different to labour,you'll know when your in labour and dont let the midwives tell you your not if you think you are, sometimes its hard to explain the feelin so they think its pre-labour but if you really think its labour go in.
    Good luck :hugs:

thanks guys - DH works an hour and a half away, so I'm nervous to make the call for him to come home without really being sure. But I think i'm going to go with the intensity of the pain - once it gets more intense I'll call him to come home (he's only home on weekends).

It is exciting to see you guys say I'll be holding bubs soom - is this all really happening? does that sound wierd?

we're really going to have a baby soon aren't we? OMG!?!?!?!

Good luck Jules.. I'm nowhere near the stage you are....mine wants to cook a bit longer I think... gotta do its makeup or something I reckon... lol

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hi Mel,

This all happened today - before that there was not much happening at all. Got excited this morning when I saw 'the show'. But still can't believe that it might be happening. Am i going into denial or am I just used to reading about everyone else that you never really think it's actually going to happen - I'm not making much sense huh.

wonder if the full moon and a stormy night really does mean anything? but derr it is my due date.....but how often does bubs really come exactly on due date?....can you tell I'm extremely confused at the moment? is the not thinking straight all a part of it? i'm losing the plot......slowly but surely?!?!??!

Jules - to quote my OB "they won't stay in there forever".... lol

So bubs will come when good and ready... but I've read the more pre labour you have, the shorter your labour is likely to be... so thats a good thing!!!!
    Try to relax, have some peace and quiet and time to yourself before the silence is interrupted by screams.. LOL

thanks Mel

have been reading up on the July BB thread - heaps happening there. Say hi and good luck to the girls - I don't know everyone that well and feel like i'd be intruding a bit to just bring myself back in at this late stage. I'll still keep looking in every now and again.

Off to have a shower and then settle in for a bit of telly, cup of tea, and choc coated scotch fingers.

thanks again

Oh honey, don't feel like that - you are more than welcome!! I order you to come in and say hi to everyone.. NOW missy!!!!!!
    hehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast