Thread: Contractions- should I be concerned?

Default Contractions- should I be concerned?

So I'm 32 weeks this Saturday (or Sunday.. can't remember lol). Yesterday I had some contractions. They came every 15 minutes and lasted around 3 minutes. This happened for 1 and a half hours. They were probably a 5/10 for pain and made walking pretty hard.
    I've taken the day off today as I've been working 5 days a week 8.5 hours a day for the last 4 weeks as part of my uni placement. Thankfully this is the last week.
    Anyhow my question is, should I be really concerned about it? I figure there is no point ringing the assessment unit cause its not happening now, but I'm still a bit worried about the fact that this happened.

Hopefully someone can let me know as I hate being a worry wart. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't say you are being a worry wart, but at the same time I wouldn't be overly concerned. Your body will practice for labour with contractions that can often be painful at times. If it happens again try to lie down and rest and if the contractions continue when resting then let your midwife know.

Some time off work seems like a good idea too, Your body is growing a person, it's ok to slow down and concentrate on that.

If you are ever concerned ring the midwives at the hospital ok....

Thanks for the replies girls. I guess what got me spooked was last time I rang the midwives at the assessment unit she said that braxton hicks will be painful but not regular. So when these were regular I thought uhoh! I'm really looking forward to Friday afternoon when this silly placement is finally over!

Hi Ella,

just wanted to say good luck and thinking of you

I was told that BH can be regular but they eventually subside but with real contractions they become more intense and more regular.

I just think they are BH getting you ready for the real deal.

I had the same thing a few times towards the end of my last pregnancy. Like you it last an hour or 2 then disappeared.

Hi Ella

This sounds very much like Braxton hicks to me. Braxton hicks can be quite painful they can also be regular and it is not unusual for them to last for a few minutes. Labour contractions usually last for up to 90 seconds at the most and in the initial stages it is unusual for them to last more than 45 seconds.

Yeap I agree with Alan

I have had BH's from 16 weeks, my belly would go rock hard for loooong periods of time, up to a few hours, I was put on meds at 22 weeks as they were increasing in intensity, were not going away with either rest of movement. They would also get to the point of being very uncomfortable and made it difficult to breathe.

I posted a thread about 28 weeks as I felt things were different and I didn't feel right, they weren't lasting as long, but were regular, I still had a quite firm belly inbetween, but was getting additional tightenings on top. I ended up on CTG and I was pretty shocked to learn that I was regularly contracting and my OB was able to feel the intensity of them, but they were lasting up to 1m long. In the end I have a very irritable uterus and one that is keen to get this little bubba out! So bugger is I have been on bed rest since 28 weeks and a high dose of Nifedipine to stop well now reduce the contractions, and that stopped working two weeks ago so am now on a combination of Nifedipine and Progesterone, and just keeping things at bay.

So it has certainly enabled me learn to recognise the difference between the two, if you get to a point where you don't feel right, you can always go in and get checked out

Take care xxoo

Thanks for all the replies everyone. You've all made me feel alot more reassured. I'll just make sure I keep an eye on things and take notice of how often etc its happening.

I must say the more that happens during my pregnancies, the greater my desire becomes to be a midwife. Can't wait to finish my nursing so I can start helping mummies!

Thanks again everyone for your support and sharing your experiences.