Thread: Cramps, ooooouuuuuucccccchhhhh!!!!

Unhappy Cramps, ooooouuuuuucccccchhhhh!!!!

I am aware that cramps during pregnancy are common. But I was just wondering if there is anything that I could be doing, that might help me to deal with them.

I get them mainly in my legs and feet, but in my hips as well. And they get soooooooooo painful, they seem to happen more during my sleep. It's not a great way to wake up in the middle of the night . The arches in my feet and my calf muscles are now constantly sore.

Does anyone have any advise on what I can do that could help me with the pain when they happen, or what I could be doing to help prevent them from happening. Any would be greatly appreciated, as I'm sick of being in pain.

Eat bananas! drinking the odd sports drink (powerade etc) will help too. When they happen, gently stretch the leg etc until you feel it beginning to ease off a little and then I find giving the area a bit of a rub afterwards helps too.

Hi Mel

you poor thing. Cramps are horrible. I have heard that stretching the legs before bed can help reduce cramps or at least the severity of them. If you are getting them at all times of the day maybe regular stretching throughout the day might help ease them.

Good luck.
    Jem

apparently take magnesium/calcium tablets.
    Also, when you get the cramps at night in your sleep, stretch your leg out, but heal first, not your toes. Thats what the physio told us at antenatel classes.

Thanks ladies.
    I try to stretch them out when they come, the ones in my feet seem to come good in a few seconds, but the ones in my legs, I can't seem to stretch out far enough, and it takes around 20 or so seconds for them to ease, it's really really painful, and my legs in the morning ache becuase of this. And the ones in my hips I just can't seem to stretch at all (no wonder). I guess it's just a joy of pregnancy I'll have to learn to live with. BTW this might sound dumb but how would be stretch your hip area if you tried too?

That's interesting about the sports drinks. Does it have something to do with the electrolites in the drink? And bananas are loaded with magnesium right? Is that what makes them beneficial? Cause I think I'd prefer to take the mag/cal tablets that mum2bee recommened as I'm not a huge banana eater. Are they safe to take? Should I just discuss it with someone from the chemist first?

I get cramps nearly every night during sleep aswell.

When I first started getting them I had DH rub it out but when he was on night shift one night i had to deal with it my self and found a method that actually works much better. DH got the sack from rubbing them out lol.

I get straight off the bed and put pressure on my toes and lower my heel to the ground.
    This method for me cuts the length of the pain in half, if not more.

They are horrible things, best of luck finding your way of dealing with them.

I only have a couple of weeks to deal with them left yah!

Kelly

I used to get cramps during the night really bad too, i still get them now but they are far and few between (watch i'll get them tonight now lol)
    I took magnesium tablets and they worked a beaut, it is safe to take them, i enquired on here aswell as asking my GP. Its bubs taking nutrients out of us that makes them worse too, i suggest the tablets and the odd sports drink, the work wonders for me, although i ate bananas at the same time.
    Goodluck

this might sound stupid - i did this the other night, and my cramp went away - might of been coincidence The leg i had the cramp in, i stretched that one out, and the opposite arm above my head. Why? I dont know, i was half asleep, but, the cramp went away.
    For me, the worst thing about them is getting them when you are asleep, cause all you want to do is get rid of them as quickly as possible, without having to go to to much effort and completely wake yourself back up again.
    Oh, and i never checked with my obs about taking magnesium, i just started taking it. I did ask at the chemist thou, as also taking preg multivitamin, and wanted to ensure it was ok to take both together. Didnt want to overdose on the mag.

paradise lost Guest

Hey,

I didn't get cramps during PG, but i ate masses of bananas and raspberries, which are also loaded with magnesium. Little better if you're not bananas about bananas.

HTH

sajemsha Guest

That's interesting, I used to take magnesium tablets before I was pregnant, I was getting leg cramps then, I had a magnesium deficancy, when I got pregnant the doctor said to stop taking them, I see a new Doctor tomorrow, I'll ask him what he thinks as I'm still getting bad leg cramps, every night and my legs are sore constantly during the day, I've heard drinking water help, which I'm doing and yes I eat bananas, the tablets do help, I wonder what this doc will say, take heart they usually go away when bub arrives Stretching and walking help a bit too.

I sometimes feel one coming on, but relax my leg straight away which usually stops them. I count myself very lucky that I haven't had any cramps so far. But I have been wondering if it could be because I have had bad heartburn and basically live of Rennie & Tums tablets... sounds like I might have been right.
    To stretch your hip area:
    I used to get cramps sort of in my bum cheek. This is the best way that I know of to stretch it out, although it is not ideal and hard to explain.
    Sit on the floor with both legs straight. Now take the leg where the cramp is (let's say it's the right leg) and place that foot over the other leg, resting the right foot next to your left knee (or further up if you can). Now twist your upper body to the right and with the left ellbow (opposite to the crampy side), try to push the right knee to the left side as much as you can. Hold that stretch.
    I think I totally confused you now, but I can't think of a way of explaining this better.
    Here is something similar, that you might want to try:
    http://www.spinalhealth.net/stretching.html

Thanks ladies for all your help. I think I'm going to try the stretching and the sports drink and will pop into my local chemist to ask about the pills. Thanks again for your help.

hi mummymel,
    im 30 weeks preg and my hips have been sore for a few weeks now...feels like ive slept on one side too long,but it can come and go.i found that sleeping with a pillow between my knees really helps.i think its cos it doesnt make me turn into the bed as much?!?
    i heard bout the tablets and my doc recommended i try the stretching b4 anything else.
    good luck,
    caz

hips will also be sore from your pelvis moving. Take it as a good sign - your body is getting ready.
    Might be a certain time in your pregnacy, as my hips arent as sore anymore as they used to be. Used to feel like someone had a knife dug into them, sorta near the top, but, at the front.