Thread: Deep heat during pregnancy?

Question Deep heat during pregnancy?

Hi all,

Quick question - I did a lot of walking today at the expo, and my groin area and my thigh muscles are killing me, to the point that i find it easier to crawl rather than walk. Walking causes a great deal of pain, so I was wondering if anyone knew if deep heat was ok to apply during this stage of pregnancy??

And if not, any other suggestions to help my sore legs so I can walk again!! I'm having visions of going into labour and not being able to move!!!!

You can't use deep heat in pg, as the main ingredient hasn't been tested for effects kwim? But you could try having a deep hot bath (not too hot of course) and just some gentle massage to the area. Not sure if you can use epsom salts during pg, but if you can, I would put that in the bath too.

Yeah no deep heat hun!!

I second the hot bath .... and some massage. You can keep it warm by placing a hot-water bottle on the area.

Keep the leg warm and you can even try and do some gentle streching with the massage
    Try sitting cross-legged (place a cussion against the wall and press your back nice and tightly against the wall - just to give your back some support with the 36 week bump ) with the soles of your feet together (that is not really crossed-leg, but I am sure you get the picture) and then GENTLY press down on your knees ... you'll feel your inner thighs strech. Might not work within a day, but it will help ease the mucsle pain and break down the lactose-acid (that is the right word, hey??)

For your thighs (upper) you can just gently eaze down on your knees (like in prayer) and just massage the thighs.

Don't know if this will help, but it beat crawling around the house and I don't want to give you gloomy news ... but sooner or later you are going to have to go to the loo and with sore thighs, getting down to sit ... OUCH!!! (I have experiance!!)

Thanks guys, I was a good girl, didn't put anything on it, just made DH massage it for me for ages.... it feels a little better this morning (ie I can actually walk, without gasping in pain and hanging onto the wall)

However, I did have lower belly cramps on and off all last night in bed...stay in little bubba... stayyyyyy in....

Hey Ladies, just a quick question on the end of this thread, I have been rubbing deep heat into my DH shoulders for the last couple of days!!! Is that bad, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to use deep heat (even though it wasn't me using it, my hands were burning after rubbing it into my DH). I hope it doesn't affect my baby???

i found out early in my pg that deep heat (in my case - tiger balm) was no good, when i massaged dh , i used rubber gloves...
    It shouldnt be too much of a problem, maybe just scrub your hands really well after?