Thread: Dentist during pregnancy

Default Dentist during pregnancy

I have a very naughty, very sore, hole in my tooth which was picked up on an x-ray before I was pregnanct and as it was giving me no grief at the time, I didn't get it fixed. Now, at 33 weeks pregnant, my tooth is SOOOO sore, almost all the time now. I have an appt with a dentist on Monday, and am assuming I will need a filling - are there any risks in their procedures/drugs at the dentist??

Thanks.

Not supposed to be. I had a filling replaced while PG and they told me all is fine. Make sure you quiz them about it for your own peace of mind though.

I was assured everything is localised.. the anesthetic, and even the xray. Altho I didnt end up needing an xray. Even my OB said if I need an xray it's fine coz it's so small and localised just to the teeth.

Hope you can get it fixed soon! I hate having a sore tooth

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I was assured (and reassured, and reassured, and the reassured some more ) by my dentist AND dental surgeon that it is perfectly safe to have dental work done during pregnancy and is in fact preferred as an infection could cause more problems. I ended up having an old metalic filling fall out at about 28 weeks and had that completely replaced with one of the new fillings. Two weeks later I had a (different) tooth removed surgically (I'm super scared of the dentist) in the chair. All turned out fine and wish I had had the work done sooner!

HTH

MG

Thanks girls, thanks for the article Kel.

My mums a dentist and sees preggers women all the time...she even saw me the other week for a check up! I'm sure if she'd see her own daughter, it's safe as houses!

Get the tooth dealt with and don't suffer through the pain...also remember, taking a fetus to a dental appointment is easier than bringing a baby!!!

i went to the dentist at about 5 months pg. She said there wasn't any risk with any of the proceedures. Only the x-ray & when she did the x-ray she gave me a special lead vest to put over my tummy