Thread: Does amniotic fluid have an odour?

Default Does amniotic fluid have an odour?

I'm sure this topic has been done to death but am having trouble finding an article on it. I have found a wet patch (which isnt unusual for me at almost 40 weeks pregnant) on my undies this morning but today it had a very strong ammonia smell whereas the rest of the patches have been odour-free. I "think" I read somewhere during my last pregnancy that it had an ammonia smell but cant remember now.

I have popped a pad on to "gather more evidence" but would appreciate your advice!!

Thanks.

I remember the midwife at our ante-natal classes saying that it smelt a bit sweet and apparently a bit like semen. Sorry if TMI

You may have a urinary trac infection (UTI). I work in aged care, and when a resident has very strong amonia smelling urine it usually means they have a UTI. Go to the docs to get it checked. GL

The only time I smelt my amniotic fluid was when the middies broke my waters during labour, and it smelt just absolutely disgusting then!!

I'd say if it smells like ammonia it's probably urine. Amneotic fluid does have a smell but it's nothing like ammonia at all. It's not an offensive smell if that makes sense?

Thanks girls! Probably nothing then but will keep an eye on it just in case ....

Ubba82 - I just had an Ob appoinmtment yesterday and all was well as far as a UTI was concerned.

Thanks for your comments.

It definately doesn't smell like ammonia - but urine does. Amniotic fluid smells quite distinct, like nothing you've ever really smelt before, a little sweet and very earthy I thought.

I remember in our ante-natal class we too were told that it has sweet smell and is similar to the smell of semen.

at our antenatal class the midwife says it smells a bit like semen and she said some people even think it smells like freshly cut hay. That must be the earthy smell Trillian mentioned!

Wow, I'm learning something new here!

Thank you!

I had a trickle down my leg a few hows before my waters broke and it definately smelt like semen. When I phoned the hospital and told them what it smelt like the midwife said "yes it is definately amniotic fluid then". A few hours later my waters broke completely.