Thread: DOES SIZE MATTER?

Default DOES SIZE MATTER?

Hi, im currently 37wks and are having a c/section next Friday, Feb 3...just a quick question more for interest as im not really concerned.

Im measuring 40.5cm, have put on 11.5kg (all baby not fat), have no excess fluid, travelling along great, baby active and is a very strong kicker/mover, and have a very very tight belly.

Is there a problem with measuring 40.5cm at 37wks?

My DD was 7lb 14oz., 51cms long at 38 weeks, 2.5 years ago.

Thanks

Nope it doesn't. Alot of Dr's don't actually measure fundal height anymore because of its inaccuracy. My gf told me the other day that her smallest baby actually measured 45 cm at 30 something weeks and they stopped measuring LOL! Yet the others measured on par and were bigger. So its really NOT that accurate. I read somewhere that its only about 40% accurate...maybe less but its not very accurate at all.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hi narelle

As Cailin said measuring the fundal height is very inaccurate and it is only used as a guide. The measurments that you get can be influenced by the position of the baby and also the accuracy of the person doing the measuring. I would not worry about your 40.5cm.

My Dr always did it, but mainly to make sure I was growing. With Paige I was about 43cm at 39 wks, and she did feel very big, but she could have been a really long 6lb baby IYKWIM? it is so hard to tell baby size from fundal height. So don't panic too much about it. One of my friends never had her Ob measure, he just did an U/S at every visit.

Melinda Guest

I was measuring 43 at 40w also. As the others have said, it's only used as a guide.