Thread: Driving after a c-sect

Question Driving after a c-sect

Ok so most people have said to wait 6 weeks and I always thought it was 6 weeks but is this a law? Or does it come down to your insurance company? An OB I spoke to recently said he had never heard of this (where has he been?). He is doing my c/s next week should I be worried? LOL
    I know most would be capable after 2-3 weeks but if you have an accident apparently you are not covered as your reaction time for braking/swervng is greatly decreased. I reckon I will go stir crazy being stuck at home for 6 weeks! I do live on the river so at least I can go for walks...

It's not a law, but most insurance companies will not cover anyone that's had abdominal surgery until 6wks after. You can call your insurance company & ask what their policy is, some are shorter than others.

I started driving about 3 weeks after... if you have a manual car its a little bit harder but i have an auto so it was fine... but even just to start with just small trips so that you dont put yourself in any paths that an accident may occur... i know thats all good in theory but I guess just places you feel comfortable to drive
    My insurance co (CGU) said that if you have a cert or letter from your doc that says you are in good enough health to drive that they will accept that in the case of an accident.
    Good luck
    xoxoxo

Same as Kirstie above. I was covered by insurance once the doctor gave his OK. With 4 children and the youngest in NICU, I really had to drive. I have a minivan and the upright seat was quite comfortable. With a lower or bucket seat, it would have been difficult.
    It also depends how good you feel after the c/sec. I've had two and recovery times were very different. You may feel very good after 10 days, or still bodgy for a month or more.

Most definetely check with your insurance company as many do not cover you as you are techinically medical not allowed to drive until after 6 weeks.

Cool thanks

As others have said check with your insurance company - you might be surprised.
    Mine was fine with me driving as soon as my OB said it was ok. He gave me the ok when I felt ready. So I was driving short distances 6 days after my caesar and it was fine. I would never have got behind the wheel if I didn't feel confident braking in a hurry, I honestly wasn't in pain to lift my legs at that point. If you have an automatic car so you don't have to push the clutch in all the time - even better

i am naughty.i was driving 1 week after my c.section,tut tut tut!!!!
    nikki

Ring your insurance company.. Some don't care and some require a Drs cert.

wowzah Guest

I rang my insurance co after my emergency c/s in 2005, and they had a strict 4 week wait after any type of surgery that required overnight.

I was told that you need to be fully confident and competent of being able to stamp on the brake if needed and also be able to turn around and check your blind spot. I didn't feel as if I could do either of these until 6 weeks but everyone is different.

I know that it is a completely different part of the anatomy (not even the same sex!), but I am a urology nurse, and when we do a radical prostatectomy (remove the entire prostate) on a man, we tell him no driving for 6 weeks. The incision site is in the same lower abdomenal area, but is vertical, and we tell them no driving, because of the slower reaction that you will have trying to brake in an emergency when you have a painful wound right where the seatbelt sits. The effort of driving and moving your legs in those situations also puts extra pressure on the wound and can cause it to dehiss (open back up again) - and we have had to re-admit people to hospital to have dressings done, and for IV antibiotics when this has happened. And as this is something that can be avoided, I think you are just better off not driving for the 6 weeks, instead of taking the risk