Thread: engaging

Default engaging

This is the first thread I have started so please be gentle...

I have just over three weeks to go and my baby has not shown the slightest inclination head south (ie engage). I wasn't worried about it, and I know it does have a big head, but at antenatal classes yesterday they were talking about cephalo-pelvic disproportion.

For anyone who has had this or a late engaging baby - should I be worried? :-k

Thanks in advance

Hi Scrappyfish

No you should not be worried. It is quite common for the baby not to engage until you are having contractions.

Amandalee Guest

I wouldt worry too much. I have a son, who is now 16mths old. I carried small with him and was told by everyone, even Dr's, that he'd be 6lb. He arrived.....9lb on his due date. I pushed him out no worries......in one hour......and I didnt even tear. His head was a big 37.5cm.

I had a 42hr labour with him, as he was face up......painful back labour.....but when it came to pushing, he never stopped once the head was out. His head and shoulders came out in one HUGE whoosh!

So dont worry. I think there is ALOT, and maybe too much emphasis on disproportion of the head. I know someone who had 3 c-sections because her Dr told her the head was too big, but after each birth he said 'oh, it wasnt as big as we thought' etc.

And it doesnt always matter about the mums size. My mum is 5ft 5 and she delivered my brother at a huge 10lb 8oz no worries. His head was also 37cm and his shoulders were massive!

So dont worry. Oh and if you're worried about baby engaging....my son never did before labour. And he was my 1st baby, and 1st babies are supposed to engage! Lol......thats why I had such a long labour, as he never engaged til near the end!

Luv, Amanda

Cool, thankyou so much Alan and Amanda. Knew there was nothing to worry about.