Thread: epidural question

colleeg Guest

Default epidural question

hi all
    just reading up on epidurals, is it true that you have to have a catheda(sp) when you get an epidural? i was reading that becuase you dont have control (cant feel anything down there) you dont know when to go to the loo?

colleeg

Yep I had to have one. Didn't phase me too much, I thought it was going to be more painful than it was but it was fine. It did sting a little when I had to go to the toilet but other than that it was fine.

*hugs*
    Cailin

colleeg Guest

ok, so do they insert the catheda after the epidural has kicked in?

I didnt have one with either of my epidurals and when asking the midwife at the hospital im going to this time about it she said it is all up to whether you can go or not yourself. everyone is different

I know I had a catheter with my epidural, but I can't for the life of me remember when it was put in! Probably after it had kicked in I suppose? Or maybe as it was kicking in? I think I was on too much gas to remember

It didn't phase me either really...

Yeah I had it after, I think it also depends on the severity of the epidural. If its a ****tail epidural or full on too.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I was asked to go to the toilet just before my epidural with Kameron was inserted, and I never needed a cathetar, also went to the toilet fine after giving birth by myself.

Love

I had one and they took it out when I woke up the next morning They put mine in after the epidural and I didn't feel it at all the whole time, apparently I did wee, but I had no idea it was happening.

At our Hospital when you have an epidural they put the cathetar in, the drip and put the fetal heart monitor onto bubs head. I don`t want an epidural but if it happens it happens.

Take Care

Deeanne

Melinda Guest

When I was in labour with Jacob I was going to the toilet whenever I thought of it to try and make sure I kept my bladder empty!! I remember though that I went to go on one occasion and couldn't go and they quickly popped a catheter in, drained my bladder (which was full to the brim judging by how much came out!) and then took it back out again. I was REALLY anxious about having it, but honestly, it wasn't bad at all. Later on, when I had the epidural, they put in another catheter, which wasn't taken out until the following day. It was a little strange going to the toilet after they had taken it out (didn't hurt when they took it out) because there was a bit of a loss of sensation, i.e. I didn't actually feel the need to go the toilet!! I just kept taking myself off periodically and 'trying' to go and it worked!! Things returned to normal on that front after a couple of days.

Same as Tootie here - I had one put in & then removed and then later on I had one left in for the whole of the next day. I didn't have any problems going to the loo after it at all.

I have had the two varieties of birth, vaginal with epidural and caesarian with spinal anaesthetic, and with both a catheter was routinely used after the epidural/anaesthetic had just started to work, and didn't feel it at any stage with either (apart from a slight sensation when being removed).

My biggest fear with my last catheter was that my toddler would jump on the tubing and dislodge it or something, however the nurse assured me that it cannot become dislodged as it is held in like a little inflated balloon.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

OMG Dee, I can't believe they put in a scalp monitor as well - how awful... surely you can refuse that?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Colleeg
    You usually do need a catheter. But I have never put on a scalp electrode just because mum is having an epidural, that is just barbaric.

Alan (Midwife)

I had an epidural and it lasted 7 hours and I didnt' have a catheter . I don't recall going to the loo until after and it took over two litres of water to get me to go anyway. xo

I had the catheter put in before, and it is something i had really worried about - but it really doesnt hurt going in, jsut feels a bit weird!

I asked that the midwife wait until the epidural had kicked in before inserting the catheter... They took it out in the afternoon though (after the numbness had well and truly gone) and it didn't hurt at all.