Thread: Evening primrose oil (maybe TMI)

Default Evening primrose oil (maybe TMI)

Thinking of starting EPO tablets both orally and vaginally to get body ready for labour. Was told had to put them as close to my cervix as possible. Thing is i can't even reach my cervix, so how am i meant to know if it's near it or not???

How is Evening primrose oil meant to help?

Apparently it's meant to help ripen the cervix.

mmmm Its generally used as a natural anti infammatory. I wonder what it is about it that ripes the cervix? I would just be carful sticking anything up there so close to your due date, did you get check out after the leaking episod? I would be checking with your midwife first.

ETA: been googling it & have read a few things about it & why it is recomended. it has prostaglandins in it. I didn't know that. Although I have read a few sites saying it doesn't actually do anything that your body wouldn't start to do on its own at the recomended time of taking EPO anyway. But hey, each to there own I say!

I personally would give it a go, maybe just orally though.
    Last edited by *Efjay*; September 15th, 2006 at 10:40 PM.

skyelar Guest

Hi ya Tegan!
    I am using EPO orally & vaginally & have been since about 35 weeks. I take 2 in the morning orally, 2 at night orally & put 3-4 as close to my cervix as possible at night right before bed. I just put one leg on the bed & go as deep as I can (sorry for all the horrific visuals you now have) I just find it hard to get around my tummy otherwise!
    I put a pad on & lie in bed tilted to my left a bit & with a pillow under my bottom so the oil will pool over my cervix.
    I have spoken to my Ob about it & he just laughed & said 'you girls will try anything, just have sex!!'
    Good luck!!

Tegan, you said that your waters hadn't been leaking after the hosp visit yeah?? So if that's the case then go for it. But if the do confirm that your waters are leaking I would stop it too. ALthough once you do start to use the EPO capsules you will get abit leaky. But the smell is very difference plus it's oily.

Go for it hun, and yup as far as you can go is great. Maybe while your squatting like on the loo, or as Lea said with one leg up on the tub. My cervix was so soft and stretchy.

And it tastes heas better than castor oil

Waters aren't leaking, apparently just loads of watery CM. So will give this a go tonight. Jacob offered to help lol, charming!

Awww now isn't Jacob a sweety for offering his assistance

Yes I am suer he could find a "Pill Popper" somewhere that he could use to get it up nice & high! LMAO

LMAO Fiona

LMAO Fiona!! I was just picturing a pill popper up the wrong end.

I've started rasberry leaf tea & I may have to get some of these tablets to start in a few weeks. Gotta get that cervix ripe!

I hate the raspberry leaf tea so i'm taking the tablets. Apparently they work better anyway because they are a stronger dosage.

allyfield Guest

Hi Tegan,
    My OB told me not to start the EPO tablets until 37 weeks and not before what did your midwife say?