Thread: Evening Primrose Oil Question

Default Evening Primrose Oil Question

Hi Guys,

I've heard snippets that this is good to soften the cervix but don't know much more than that.

Also that it is used internally. Does this mean to break open the capsule and just insert the oil, or do you actually insert the whole capsule? How much?

Sorry - I'm just a bit confused what it's for and exactly what to do with it?

Thanks

Hi Juleswa.
    I have just started using Evening Primrose oil this week.
    I take two capsules orally and insert 2 capsules at night internally.
    I insert the whole capsule.
    Only advice is to wear a pad to bed as what goes in comes back out again.
    also morning wee makes interesting patterns in the loo cause of the oil.
    id be interested to see if im doing this right

I would take 3 orally in the morning and 3 orally at night and then 3 internally at night. I think i started doing this from 36 weeks. Not sure if it helped but i was 3cms dialated at 39+2wks.

Yep you insert the whole capsule.

Oh, while we're on the subject lol... When do you start EPO? Is it better to start now (I'm 34 weeks) or should I wait a few more weeks?

I'm unsure of the exact week you can start but i was always told to start at 36 weeks for it to do something.

Hmm.. thats a good question to ask my OB at my appointment tomorrow.. mental note.. ask about Raspberry Leaf tea AND Evening Primrose...

I may be able to start mine now.. woohoo!!

What exactly is it meant to do?

and sorry to be painful, but are the capsules 500mg or 1000mg each?

Thanks guys

Jules,

I just got back from my appointment and thought I would update what my OB said.

Said to start taking RLT - either tea or tablet, doesn't matter. Also said to have lots of orgasms (!!!) because that will help start the right hormones flowing... hehe

About Evening primrose - she said that statistics have shown that they can actually cause a longer labour... so advised me NOT to take them.

Hope this helps!!

been reading up on EPO myself as i bought a whopping big jar of it (figured if it helps with pms symptoms i can use it after preggy) seems the theory is that EPO may contain prostogladins like semen (from what ive read). so far ive been taking 2 orally, i dunno if that does much good... but since figured not to take them internally and let my body do its own thing..
    i googled 'evening primrose studies on cervix' and found one medical study report thing done in 1999 that backs up what mel said (unfortunately u have to pay to see it.. grr)
    the usual dose is the 1000mg tablets.

thank guys

think i might keep on doing what i have been. I'm taking a combined Fish and Evening Primrose Oil cap 500mg of each - taking 2 in the morning and 2 at night, so 2000mg daily of EPO.

Think I might stick with that.

Thanks for all the info - good luck to all!