Thread: Exercise

Default Exercise

HI guys,
    I'm 31 weeks pg tomorrow (YAY!!!) but I am really struggling to exercise. I am losing, well basically lost, my muscle tone in my legs and arms so I'm really starting to worry about how I am going to go through labour and still have the energy and strength for pushing.

So my question is how are you ladies exercising? I'm swimming and was walking but no longer can walk the same distance as I could especially after work (I'm a nurse) because of needing the toilet, more breathless, aching legs and feet and belly getting heavier (you know, the same pg symptoms we all get in these last few weeks). So I'm really looking for suggestions?

Thanks ladies,
    Dan.

Dan, I'm feeling exactly the same way. I have been so sick right from the start of my pregnancy and the whole way through that I have done absolutely no exercise. I must have spent at least 4 months straight on the couch. So, I have absolutely no fitness left whatsoever and am really worried about how I'll cope with labour. I was telling a friend how worried I was about it and she said she was the same way (she had a very bad pregnancy) but come labour she didn't have problems at all so maybe its one of those things that our body just somehow manages to find the reserves it needs? I'm hoping so anyway

Hi ladies!!! Ive been doing aqua aerobics for the last 2 weeks twice a week because im the same - I used to go to the gym, run, walk, etc and now cant even walk around the block without feeling like my belly is going to drop off!!!! Im not doing a pre-natal class because my local one is $25 for 45 mins whereas a normal class at the local pool is $10! Its great and the instructors adapt movements if they are too hard. I just do my own thing really at a slower pace -plus there is the extra benefit of feeling so cool and weightless for a whole hour- Id be happy just to stand there for the hour!

I've just blown up my fitball to get my leg muscles used to the ball again - Like Lulu and Dan I feel so unfit. I walked around 1km yesterday and it felt like I'd walked 30 or so. I need to work out the water aerobics, but there's about a 1km walk from the train station to the pool that's heated, or about a 1km up a large hill to my local pool .... will only 1 session a week do anything for me if I go swimming the other day on the weekend? Even walking around the shopping centre knocks it out of me.

I've been doing yoga at home, to keep myself flexible and supple. I did a prenatal yoga class in 2nd trimester, so I'm pretty familiar with the moves, and I've been working my way through the yoga exercises in Janet Balaskas' Active Birth book (with DH's help!).

In terms of aerobic exercise ... not much I make sure I walk up the down the stairs at the train station every day, instead of taking the lift, and twice a day I have a 15min walk to/from train station and work. I don't walk at a fast pace, but it does get my heart rate up by the time I arrive at work in the morning.

I swam right up until the end. I also walked, but had to make the walks shorter & shorter as it was getting uncomfortable, but swimming was always great. I think you will be surprised how fit you still are with the swimming.

I did yoga, and I found it helped me build up strength in my legs. Cant say the same for my arms though! I did also do walking, but I have always done that anyway.

Hi Dan,
    I've been feeling the same way. I've been trying to be more active here and there doing things around the house or walking abit extra when I feel well, usually a few times per week. I do feel like I've lost my muscle tone. I see lumpiness everywhere which I am not used to. At this stage there isn't a whole lot we can do, I don't think they recommend taking up a new exercise at this stage in our pregnancies. Gentle exercise more frequently will help out though.

i had been walking about 5 times or more a week, but that stopped a while back... at almost 39 weeks i cannot do ANYTHING... i am lucky to be able to vacuum and clean the house. i go for a very small walk across the road to the oval to let the dog off the lead, and my back is killing me. i have given up. i know its important to keep semi active but its just too hard. i'm just a beached whale on the couch counting down the days and piling on the kilos!