Thread: Extreme Stress and Pregnancy

Default Extreme Stress and Pregnancy

Hi Lovelies,

After the incident with my family last week I am feeling really really really stressed. And emotional. To the point of waking up in the middle of the night because of it. And if I cry any more tears I might just be able to solve the water crisis!
    Anyway, my question is this; what are the side effects of such severe stress on my baby? Am I causing severe harm? I have an Ob appointment on Wed and am scared what my BP will be. I have about 2 and a half weeks to my EDD...

Thanks

MG

I dont think it has severe effects, but my dr said stress most definately gets to the the baby as well as mum. I know its easy for me to say dont stress.....but you have to. Im not sure of the incident ur referring to...but please try not to let it gt to you. Your bubba needs u...Big hugs MG, i hope things get better soon for you.....your lil bundle will be arriving...and that will be so exciting!!

*hugs* MG. I don't have any advice for you, but you poor thing - if this is waking you in the night and you are also really emotional, you must be so exhausted! I hope everything resolves itself for you so you can concentrate on looking after yourself.
    I hope your appointment goes well on Wed.

MG
    Your stress may make your baby kick more. It may also increase your baby's heartbeat but it should not cause any medical or physical problems

Thanks Alan. I assume that bub's heartbeat would settle after birth?

Definately exhausted Snacks. But at least I've finished up at work and can nap during the day!

Hope you begin to feel more relaxed soon. Sending you big hugs and plenty of positive vibes Take care of yourself and that beautiful bub of yours!

MG yes the heartbeat will settle after birth. It will also settle if your stress levels come down

Thanks Alan. Was a little worried as everyone keeps telling me if I'm stressed I'm going to birth a nervous baby and will cause other problems. I have just gotten home from my Ob's appointment and everything is fine apparently. The heartbeat was very normal and my BP is acceptable (150/80 - only slightly up from my last visit 3 weeks ago). So considering everything I've been through in this past week, it doesn't seem to be having too much of an impact on me (physiologically) or the baby. PHEW! I'm feeling much much more relaxed now!

I'm glad to hear you're physically ok, MG. I hope everything else settles down for you soon. The late 3rd trimester is hard for everybody and with all the rest of your troubles it's no wonder you're feeling so stressed out. Take care of yourself and my thoughts are with you.

You poor petal! Family can be the hardest thing to deal with at the best of times... From what I have learned about stress, there is only a damaging physical effect on the baby if it is prolonged stress, that continues throughout the pregnancy as the baby is going through it's different developmental stages. For example, if the pregnant mother is subjected to severe emotional abuse from a partner; or if they have a job that is excessively stressful.
    Hope everything sorts itself out for you & all goes well in the lead up to the birth:hugs: