Thread: Fluid retention

Default Fluid retention

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has had problems with fluid retention in their upper legs and backside? I didn't get any swelling at all with my first pregnancy and didn't really put on weight anywhere but my belly (until after the baby was born) but with this one I am finding that my upper legs are huge and I have to buy the next size up in undies. Please tell me that this is just fluid retention and it will all go away after the baby is born????

I hope so Justine!!!

Melinda Guest

I can't say I had swelling in my upper legs or bum......but I retained fluid in a big way. My hands, knees and ankles were swollen beyond belief and you could see it all in my face as well. I guess overall I looked bigger everywhere.....I gained 17.5kg and 15.5kg of that was gone after just a couple of weeks post-birth.

I retained fluid in the last pregnancy and also so far in this one but truthfully it was always in the lower legs/ankles as opposed to upper legs. If it is fluid retention alot of that will disappear in the first few weeks.