Thread: Gastro/bug...HELP!

Default Gastro/bug...HELP!

Hi...

I've been sick since yesterday afternoon...throwing up and on the toilet. I can't seem to keep anything down water included.
    Dylan's been kicking away so I assume he's ok..I'm really worried though - can this sort of thing effect him in any way? I was going to call my dr this morning but she's not in until 9am(and even then who knows if I'll be able to talk to her..)
    Is there anything I can do/take...I am really hungry and thirsty but I just don't want to be sick anymore..
    I'm a big sook when it comes to this - I've never had gastro/bug before..
    Thanks for your replies...

You poor thing. There is blessed little you can do. As well as the Dr's seem to have mixed opinions on what you can/can't take in pregnancy.

Although my OB did suggest this: make sure you eat NO dairy at all......and a couple of painkillers with codiene in it will generally bung you up. HOWEVER, that was just my OB, so please take your own Drs advice.

Are you able to talk to a nurse at your Dr's practice? Or the other option is to call your local pharmacy.......they give advice and it always seems to be on the very very cautious side, so if you explain you are pg, they will take that into consideration?

Thanks heaps Lucy...yeah I think our chemist opens at 8am so I'll call and send dh down if there is anything. I haven't had anything but funny you say about dairy because I'm cravign a big drink of milk! hehe. Maybe I'll wait and see now...

Renaee Guest

Hi Kristie,

With my experience with gastro during pregnancy, I would go into see your Dr or to the hospital straight away. I had gastro twice, once at 9 weeks, the other at around 32 weeks. Both times I could not stop the vommiting, the second time the runs as well.

Both times I had to have intravenous fluids via a drip, and this was the only thing to break the cycle. Then they tell you to get rehydration tablets from the chemist, avoid acidic and dairy foods, just gradually reintroduce small plain snacks, toast or a banana.

I hope you are feeling better soon, it does not affect the baby, but it is important to save your strength now for the labour and be in top condition for that. - Renaee.

Have you stopped vomitting and diarrhoea?

If it has been continuous and it wont stop, you are allowed to go to GP or hospital to get an injection to stop the vomiting. And you can also take a couple of immodium tablets to stop the diarrhoea too.

Make sure you drink heaps of water too.

I had this a few weeks ago, so I know how horrible it is. good lucl

I had gastro too about the same stage in pg as you. I went to the ER at the hospital (it's only over the road for me lol!) and they put in on a drip to rehydrate and gave me some anti vomiting stuff in the drip too. Wow I felt a million times better after that! Just go along, you won't look silly. It's important to keep hydrated when pg, particularly in the 3rd tri! Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

I agree with everyone else. It is very important not to get dehydrated. Go to the hospital.

Hi!

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm still at home. I called the nurse on call thing this morning which was really helpful. I hadn't thrown up since 4am so she was confident that I was going to start feeling better as long as I got some fluids down. I've had nearly 1.5l of water now and a cup of tea. I also managed to eat a banana and a couple of pieces of plain bread...
    If I was going to to get any worse I would have gone into the dr or hosp though. I just feel all out of sorts now but I've napped heaps and mum took Louis so I could just relax which is nice!
    I can't believe how much it knocks you around! Dylans been busy kicking me all day as well which is obviously a good sign!
    Thanks again for your replies!