Thread: GBS????

Unhappy GBS????

HI,

I found out today at my app that i tested positive for group b strep.

I am a little worried as ive been told that i must be on anitbiotic through a iv whilst im in labour

does that mean they will not let me walk around and be off the bed???

Im hoping for a VBAC and i feel that this might hinder my efforts,because i really wanted to be walking around and having gravity on my side

any ideas

mizzsocial Guest

hey its ok!!!!!!! Its very common!!
    I have it with both pregnancys. .. your not linked to anything, your not on a drip etc.. so yes you can RUN around if you want..
    They just insert an IV into your hand (they usually do this while in labor anyways) and then every 4 hours (i think) you are given a shot of anitbiotic through the IV.. Honestly its not a big deal at all!!

Chill

spreckemily Guest

Hey Ruru....Join the club. I tested positive for GBS and the DR will just insert and IV cannulae (a plug in laymans terms) in your hand. They then inject the AB into that. I have drilled a few docs about this and it's very simple. Good luck and have a great preg and CB. Feel free to talk if you need to, or after my CB I'll let you know what happens.

hi,

phewww!!!!

thanks guys for the reasurrance,im so happy that i CAN move around

Hmm I tested + for it too but got told I'd only have to have an injection of antibiotics just before bub is born?

I was told by my midwife that if i tested pos i would just be given an injection of penecilin(sp) every 6 hours. But since i'm allergic to that i'd be given something else through a drip that takes around 20mins and then it is removed.

chelleg Guest

I'm not sure what the policy is in other hospitals, but where i work women can choose to have chlorhexidine douches as an alternative to the antibiotics. The research surrounding this isn't huge as yet, but out of the studies that i have read, the chlorhex douches don't have better or worse outcomes than the antibiotics.

baby4 Guest

Hi There Ihave Tested Pos To Gbs For All Of My Pregnancys And Its Nothing To Worry About Best Of Luck

Hey Ruru - I was a wee bit anxious about having to take antibiotics in labour if I tested positive. My midwife gave me the option of temperature monitoring of bub in the first 48 hours if I was against the antibiotic option. Not sure if it's common knowledge that this is an option, so just wanted to put it out there.