Thread: Geographical Tongue

Question Geographical Tongue

Hi Guys

Another post by me (there have been a few lately). Has anyone ever had or know about Geographical Tongue? My OB has told me I have it and that there is nothing I can really do about it. It seems ok until I eat anything a bit on the spicy or acidic side then it can really hurt.

Hi Macca
    It is true, there is nothing that you can do about it apart from avoiding hot/spicy foods. There is no known causes for this problem and no known curers. However there is a higher incidents of Geographical Tongue amongst people with psoriasis. It is completely harmless apart from the pain you get when you eat spicy foods

Hmm that's a bit strange. My brother has a special mouth wash that really helps with his. He is supposed to use it after every meal, but he only does it after breakfast & dinner when he's home. It really has helped him, he still can't really eat acidic foods though.

There is a thread here about it as well.

ETA: I can find out the name of the mouthwash when I see him tonight if you like?

Hi Sarah
    I would love to know the name of that mouthwash. I always thought there was nothing you could do to help

I'll let you know a bit later tonight Alan It doesn't get rid of it, but makes it much less sensitive from what he says. He finds if he does it often enough (he's 22 and not so conisitent wit it ) he can manage acidic foods without too many problems.

Hi Sarah

I would also be interested in knowing the name, anything is worth a go at this stage, thankyou.

Thanks for your advice Alan.

How strange, I thought it was something special, but he told me he uses Savacol which is one that I'm pretty sure you can get from the supermarket. It was on doctors recomendation though :shrugs:

This is what the Colgate website says:
    This proven broad spectrum antibacterial mouth and throat rinse helps prevent dental plaque formation, reduces gingival inflammation, promotes healing after surgery in the mouth or trauma and also aids in the healing of ulcers and reduces the risk of secondary infection.

Thanks for that!

I have a Geographical Tongue. I have had it since I was born. Things like pineapple, tomatoes, strawberries trigger it. Even when I was beening b/f if mum ate strawberries it would affect my tongue too.

As these are some of my favourite foods I don't advoid them I just put up with pain.

I will have to try that mouth was though.