Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the gestational diabetes test - HELP

Default the gestational diabetes test - HELP

ive done a search but haven't found anything, so my apologies if this is already covered somewhere.... but
    can anyone tell me about the drink you have to have in order to have this test? i have a real problem with drinking medicine, as a kid i could never do it and it always makes me throw up, no exceptions.... its almost pyschological i think.... i am just hopeless with drinking any type of drink that isn't a normal drink, its like a phobia, i could never even do small shots of alcohol because it reminded me of medicine!!

im just so worried i am not going to be able to take this drink without vomiting (how embarassing).... can anyone tell me exactly what the drink is like, and how much of it do you have to take? oh i am so scared. is there ANYWAY around this? Can't i just drink like 2 litres of sugary coke or something??!! (hehe)

it tastes just like a 500ml bottle of lemonade
    i cant drink 'medicine' either.

i recently found out that its a pretty pointless test:P
    a quote i read recently...
    I think it's pointless for most people, overused way too much, and does more harm than good in making pregnant women completely sressed out. I have none of the risk factors- I'm not obese, I don't have a family history of diabetes, I'm not an older woman, I'm not from an ethnic background, I haven't had a large baby or GD in a previous pregnancy, and I don't smoke and never have.
    Testing for and treating "gestational diabetes" does not improve outcomes. It does not reduce miscarriage and stillbirth rates, and it does not reduce complications typically associated with macrosomic babies. All it does is identify women who might be at risk for developing diabetes later in life. This has no implications for the current pregnancy.
    Last edited by Ambah; December 21st, 2006 at 05:11 PM.

oooh a bottle of lemonade i can cope with.... i guess i was preparing for the worst, thick mucky green goo or something!!
    thanks for the info

I just had to do a glucose tolerance test, not because I'm pregnant, but it's the same test.

While it does taste a lot like lemonade, it's VERY, VERY sweet lemonade... it's not unpleasant, but you do need to be prepared for something very sugary, but still vaguely lemonade flavoured. I can't take liquid medicines without throwing up either, but I had no problems with this.

Worst thing for me was the three-day high-carb diet you need to follow before it...

BW

three day high carb diet? i haven't been told anything about this? do i need to do this?

Have you booked in for the test yet? It's a three day high-carb diet followed by a 12 hour fast before the test. The pathology centre should tell you about it when you book in. If they didn't tell you, I'd give them a call and ask.

BW

As far as I knew the 3 day carb diet and 12 hour fast was only if you have to have the 2 hour glucose test(if you fail the first test). Ionly had to do it with the 2 hour test anyway.

I was a bit disturbed to read the post that quotes that treating GTT does not improve outcomes... That is a MASSIVE statement and I believe highly inaccurate.

Whilst I believe that the GTT is now one of the stock standard tests and that for MOST women it's not necessary. I am amazed at the number of women that will rock up for a 4d scan or for a NTS but will baulk at a blood test to check for GDD...

I experienced GDD with my fourth child. I was not overweight. I was over 35. I had had previous big babies (contributing factors). AS with most women I had NO symptoms.
    I consulted a dietician, I altered my diet and tested my blood sugar levels (bsl's) four times a day. When I ate what I sholdn't my bsl sky rocketed - I clearly had an issue. My daughter was born vaginally afer a gorgeous labour but was hypoglycaemic. This wouldn't have been detected if she wasn't tested (heel*****) due to my diabetic state. I fed her continuously (colostrum raises the baby's bsl) but an hour later her bsl was lower again. She required treatment. Babies that do not get treated run the risk of developmental damage among other things.

Women with GDD run the risk of growing babies that are bigger than what that woman would usually grow. This can cause difficulty with birthing for obvious reasons. We as women almost always grow babies that will fit through our pelvis. With GDD the hormonal imbalance grows bigger than usual babies. This increases the risk of c/s which of course has a list of risks itself.

I ALWAYS struggle with more tests for pregnant women - it makes pregnancy more and more of a medical condition and less of a natural life experience. Having said this I have seen some unfortunate outcomes with women who were undiagnosed with GDD. So I am swayed by my experiences certainly.

GDD is very manageable and only a very small proportion of women require insulin usually it is managed with diet. NOT all babies born to mothers with GTT are big (my baby was my smallest). So a larger baby on palpatation will often ring alarm bells but some slip through as they are not big.

Babies born to mothers with GTT also have a higher risk of type 2 diabetes later in life. So, there definitely are solid reasons why this screening test is done.

As someone mentioned the drink tastes just like a soft drink. It's not difficult for most people to tolerate. It's important prior to your test to drink lots of water so you are well hydrated and thus making taking the blood easier.

Good luck with your test and I am sure like most women that have this screening test your result will be a good one. If not you can rest assured that you will get a management programme that will ensure that you and your baby are well maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by ellsbells View Post
    As far as I knew the 3 day carb diet and 12 hour fast was only if you have to have the 2 hour glucose test(if you fail the first test). Ionly had to do it with the 2 hour test anyway.
    Yep - the fasting test is only done if there are concerning results from the first test where you have the yucky drink.

My Dad has type 2 diabetes and my sister had GD so I've had an early screening one. The drink is yuck but not like medicine. I really wanted to brush my teeth afterwards!

I didn't realise that there were two different tests! Sorry for the misinformation!

BW

confusedegg Guest

I havent been told about carb diet?? but had to fast for 12 hours. it is like a lemonade drink and very sweet.

Babushka Doll Guest

Thanx for the info Flowerchild - We are definately having the test done - after all, its not about my needs and wants, or how much I like/dislike lemonade! Its about the best outcome for our precious baby, and if there is AnYThING we can do that will prevent any kind of suffering, then we will do it.

When I had to drink that drink I threw up! I had m/s so anything that went down came straight back up. After the third attempt I managed to keep it down. It's extremely sugary and tastes awful. I didn't have to do the 3 day carb diet, just fast for 12 hours.

In most cases your Ob will send you for the GCT (GLucose Challenge Test) which is drinking the 300ml of liquid (flat lemonade - even comes in a bottle that reminded me of 7up!). You go back an hour after the drink and get blood taken. Depending on the results of that you may be sent back for the GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) which is when you are required to fast prior to the test, have the same amount of liquid, and then submit a combination of urine and bloods for testing. If you have had GD before or are high risk for it, your ob might request the GTT straight off but most prefer to begin with the GCT. I was petrified of it too because when I had it years ago, it was a different liquid and was awful! But I found this one ok. HTH

MG

Melinda Guest

My experience with the tests was a little bit different again!

When I had the first test done, the GCT, I went straight in, had the drink and was told I could not leave the pathology centre. I had to sit there for 1 hour and then have the blood test done. This was apparently because anything I ate afterwards, or any exercise I may have done, would impact on the results. There was no fasting required.

My score was slightly on the high side, so I had the GTT, for which I had to fast for 12 hours prior. I then rocked up, had a blood test, drank the lemonade stuff, had another test, and then another one a little while later (I can't remember the exact time frame but I was in the pathology centre for around 2 - 3 hours all up). I passed that test, so all was well.

I was actually asked if I had had a 'normal' diet in the days leading up to both tests - they actually asked me "you haven't been on a high carb diet have you, or on any other kind of special diet?". Interesting huh!

But getting back to the question at hand - yes, it was like super sugary lemonade! I wanted to have a drink of water afterwards LOL.

The drink I had was thick and green! But it didn't taste mediciney, it just tasted like straight green cordial with added sugar. I like sweet things, but man, this was sweet!
    The only requirement is that you have a meal beforehand (your normal meals), or else I don't think they do the test. After you have had the drink, they don't like you to drink or eat anything else (I wanted some water just to wash the sugar down my throat), and they will probably want you to sit still for an hour (only cos the drink makes a lot of women feel ill if they walk around the hospital).
    The biggest drama I had was with the actual drawing of blood. They took three lots of blood for a couple of other tests too.
    Good Luck, its not that bad though!

Taia's Mum Guest

Yep it's just like lemonade!

Hope the test goes well - my bruise lasted over a week after I had the test! It didn't hurt but I guess she didn't quiet get the vein!

I think the only reason I could leave was because my OB gets us to go get the drink before our appointment with her, then see her, then go back. So they were ok with us leaving. But I did get the whole "no eating and no drinking excet for water" spiel before I walked out. The Ob rooms are literally directly across the hall from the pathology place - pretty convenient!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast