Thread: Glucose Testing

Default Glucose Testing

I am about to have my diabetes testing and blood done.

Was just wondering whats involved. All i know is it takes about 1 hr to do.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

From memory they will take blood from you first and then give you a sugary drink. Once you drink that you sit in the office for an hour and then once the hour is up they will take blood again to see how your body reacts to the sugary drink.

HTH

I had mine 3 weeks ago. They give you a sugary drink. Like sweet flat lemonade, and then make you wait for an hour. You can't do any long walks or anything as it burns up the sugar. After an hour you have a blood test, and that is it.

I didn't have a blood test prior. Only 1 after it.

Love

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Goes to show you how bad my memory is, lol.

LOL Bec I'm pretty sure last time they took the blood both times, before the drink & 1 hour afterwards... but this time it was only after the drink.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Hmmmmm, interesting. I could swear that I had one before and after. I wonder why they differ???

ETA: However I did have sooooo many jabs I've lost count. But I swear I did.

skorpy Guest

Bloods taken first, then a sugary drink (which is awful btw) I had to wait 2 hours ,have done every test ,then more bloods taken. You get Results few days to week later

it is weird cause in the 5 years of having children I have only ever had a BT done after

Love

Maybe different hospitals have different tests they run at that time, like full blood tests as well as the glucose & the drink can affect other results so they do half the bloods first and then the glucose afterwards. I had some bloods done the week before this time around so maybe those were the ones I had prior to the glucose last time....

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Did you have it done at a hossy Christy? I had mine done at a Gribbles clinic.

Glucose Tolerance Test - the basic one, you pop along to phlebotomy and they take your blood, you drink some lucozade (yuk!), then they take it again an hour later. If this test indicates diabetes or is a bit "is-she-isn't-she?" then you get a two-hour fasting test... but most GTTs are normal.

I'm having to do one in a few weeks, I just hope I'm still working here otherwise I'll be having to go out my way to do a stupid test!

Yeah mine was at the hospital Bec, both times. Same hospital, same midwife clinic...

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I had the 3 hour one too and that was at Gribbles as well. I guess different places for different places iykwim?

My Docotor called me today, 1 day after my test and he now wants me to do the 2 hr test. Im starting to worry i have GD or type 2. My mum has type 2. I have the test next Tuesday. Dh is trying to keep me calm, as we dont know what the outcome will be. All the dr told me was my test come back with sky high reading.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Don't worry I had to do the second one too and I didn't have GD.