Thread: Have my waters broken?

Default Have my waters broken?

****HUGE TMI WARNING****

Last night I just couldn't get comfy so I went to bed early. I went to bed with 4 pillows shoved in around me when I usually only cuddle one and went off to sleep after reading for 1/2hr.
    At 1am this morning I woke up with the wetest feeling ever. I thought I'd wet myself. It was a small to moderate amount of clear liquid with small white mucus bits in it (I warned ya. LOL). Since then I've been having bad period pains and braxton hicks/contractions ranging anywhere from every 5 to 15 minutes. Nothing regular at all.
    I have to keep changing my pad and it's wet with mucous/moisture but not soaking.
    I wonder if this is the start for me or just a teaser??????

Thanks,
    Dan.

MMMM Dan I would phone your care provider and get organised just in case!

Have a sniff of your pad - is it sweet? When your membranes rupture it's uncontrollable and you KNOW it. However, you can also have a slow leak or increased discharge due to the pressure of your baby's head.

Thinking of you

how exciting
    when my water broke, it started off a bit like what you described but then a couple hours later they totally gushed out! It was clear and felt sort of mucusy and sticky and when I smelt it I thought it smelt like semen lol. maybe call your midiwfe and see what they think?
    hope its your waters and you get to meet your little bubba soon!

I would call the hospital..

I had my waters broken in hospital, not that i had much left, but when i went to the toilet during labour i could def. smell a funny smelll.... Very hard to explain, but it does smell different to urine.

I would also be getting organised!

Good luck!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...n-early-labour

1. Spontaneous Rupture of Membranes (SROM)

Commonly known as the ‘breaking of the waters’, this happens when the amniotic sac (which surrounds the baby) ruptures, resulting in amniotic fluid trickling or gushing from your vagina. This happens as the first sign of labour in around 15-25% of labours, so it’s not as common as the TV soap operas would have you believe. You may notice a smaller gush of waters or sometimes it may be an enormous flood. Some women also notice a ‘popping’ sensation as their waters break.

Amniotic fluid can leak for days and even after the waters have broken, the fluid will still be replenished. If you suspect you have broken your waters, pop a pad on (do not use tampons) and call your midwife or labour ward who will ask a few questions to help distinguish what has happened. Sometimes it may be a bladder leak – don’t feel embarrassed if this is the case, as it’s quite common in the latter stages of pregnancy.

Some indicators that your waters that have broken are:

* Having no control over the flow
    * A panty liner is inadequate to absorb the fluid
    * The pad is wet more than once, and
    * It doesn’t smell like urine

Some women describe their waters smelling a bit like ‘semen,’ so if you do notice a smell, mention this to the midwife. Your waters should be clear or may have a pink tinge to them. If they are green, brown or any other colour you should get checked out by your doctor or midwife.

Waters usually break during the night, some wake to their waters breaking and some wake to go to the toilet and find their water breaks as they get up. It can happen other times also.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Hi Dan
    Sounds to me like your waters have broken. The period pain and BH are a good sigh. I hope you have got your bags packed.

Hahaha Dan, so much for being last eh? Finish packing your bags quick!!!

Thanks guys. I'm going to hang around for a while and rest up big time. I feel so stupid. Being a student midwife you'd think I'd know but nope. No wonder so many first time mums are so confused.

Dan - all the best .. good idea to rest up!

Woohoo... keep us posted, I'd say not long before you meet your bub!!

ooooo oooooo how are you going Dan? How exciting, can't wait to hear some big news?

I think Dan is in the hospital now, she went last night to get checked out and her waters have broken. She was supposed to be back there this morning at 7 according to her post last night. I can't wait to hear the news!!!

Woo hoo! How exciting! Dan's baby's on it's way!

I know but still no word, I am biting my nails in anticipation!!!

An announcement has been made in birth announcements.... Congratulations Dan & Dave!

Congratulations and well done. Enjoy!