Thread: "Have you felt a huge baby movement"

Default "Have you felt a huge baby movement"

The other day at my Midwife apt, she asked me if I had "felt the baby do a huge movement?". What? All I have felt for weeks are its full impact aerobics, which I have noticed now have almost stopped (but baby is still moving at least 10 times in 12 hours which it is supposed to do or else I have to go in for monitoring).
    I'm 35 weeks 5 days. What is she talking about?
    Also, I just read the thread on BH, and I still have no idea if I have had them or not. My belly is hard most of the time, and occaisionally I'll get a sore lower back/hips like period pain (is the most similar pain I can describe it as) and it goes away after 20 minutes maybe.

Hmm what astrange thing to ask.....i assumed that pretty much all the movements i am having r "huge movements",feels & looks like something trying to claw its way out of my tummy.
    I wonder if "huge movement" is different to normal movement.
    I'll be interested to see if anybody else knows the difference

At about 20 weeks I think it was I was doing the food shopping and the baby did like this huge somersault! it took my breath away and I didnt know what was going on and then realized.. Bub hasnt done it since and has been quite comfortably bum down ever since too. So I guess thats what she meant. i still get major limbs and body wiggling but nothing like the somersault and the same bits poke out in the same spot all the time so same position I assume (will find out exactly what that is tomorrow at scan).
    I havent had any BH either Netix so I wouldnt worry, my belly feels tight all the time too. I dont think everyone gets Bh or maybe we do but dont realize.

Maybe she was asking to determine if bubs was breech or head down? Wierd.

I never had BH with DS but with this pregnancy I have had some, since about week 14!

I agree with Jess - maybe she's trying to work out if bubbas has wriggled into position - but at 35w I would imagine she'd feel the head down there......

Maybe she was wondering which way baby was facing, but she asked before she felt my tummy, and then decided she wasn't 100% on which way it was anyway after she felt it, and had to get the opinion of two other midwives (one senior MW who was quite sure it was head down, and said if they had doubts to feel free to send me off to the doc's for an ultrasound to be sure).
    When she first felt my belly, she said "oh yes, there's the head, nice and low", and "there's the bum there", as well as baby having its back more towards my belly than my spine. I have felt baby stick what I think is its bum out, and it feels really square. It just feels strange.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I did get one really big movement about a week ago. I was sitting on a bench at the train station with my hands resting on the top of my belly, and bubs kicked so hard that it pushed one of my hands off :eek: Gave me such a shock!

But aside from that, all the movements have been pretty much the same.

I guess it really depends on what you call "huge" or "normal". I find that bub's movements are so strong that I now consider them normal as well

Quote Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
    I did get one really big movement about a week ago. I was sitting on a bench at the train station with my hands resting on the top of my belly, and bubs kicked so hard that it pushed one of my hands off :eek: Gave me such a shock!

But aside from that, all the movements have been pretty much the same.
    Is it normal to get those big movements at least 2-3 times a day? I can't use the bump as a table (so upset about that!) but if I ever rest anything even partly on it, Liebling can kick something that I find heavy off, even with me holding it down (not that I do that a lot, just wanted to demonstrate to DH how strong the baby is). Otherwise, the kicks are quite strong but there are quieter, sleepy movements too.

(I can do my count-to-10 chart within half an hour of starting it too, so haven't bothered colouring it in any more. I had a good 100+ in the space of one hour last night, I gave up counting after 40 minutes.)

I've never been asked about big movements so would like to know what that is too! Maybe it's your bowels - you're supposed to have a big movement pre-birth, aren't you?

Hehe Ryn!!!

I'm sure they would just mean like a full flip type movement opposed to just a kick or punch.
    I know for some people whose babies try to move in the later stages of p/g it can be really painful and uncomfortable as there's so little room for bubba to flip around...someone told me once they thought they were in labour - they nearly threw up and went all clammy and had sweats... all from bubba trying to turn around with no room to do it in!

oh yeah im soo looking forward to the "big movement" lol I hope he does it sooner rather then later!! Knowing me i too would think i was in labour!! LOL

Hey Naomi - they won't all do it...Dylan's been head down for the last few weeks and Louis was also from an early stage. He stayed that way for the whole time so I never got any of it!!

"I know for some people whose babies try to move in the later stages of p/g it can be really painful and uncomfortable as there's so little room for bubba to flip around...someone told me once they thought they were in labour - they nearly threw up and went all clammy and had sweats... all from bubba trying to turn around with no room to do it in!"

Dammmmmm just had an u\s yesterday and bubba very comfortably bum down and the sonographer said there wasnt much room in there..hope it doesnt hurt when the turning time comes!

Bubs is head down and has been since about 26 weeks, and I get lots of kicking and punching movements. Over the last couple of weeks though he seems to sweep from side to side (as opposed to full flips), especially when I am driving or sitting down. I don't think he likes being cramped up! You can see him kind of rolling from side to side as my belly changes shape as he does it. He is very active throughout the day, so I have never been worried about a lack of movement.

My little one is quite active as well, i never need to monitor her movements as she's at it all day, i know what you mean JoMarie with the "sweeping" movement, i get this alot at night, i find it quiet painfull sometimes though. She was head down but on her side to me last time i went to the MW.
    My "HUGE" movement is it feels as if shes jumping around in there! (party girl!) I get this kind of a "thud" feeling and this also hurts. (my DD tell's me that she "loosened" it up in there for her!)
    Strange question to ask though, as my answer would be "yes, all the time!"

Well Krisvee, lets hope this is my case but I guess I wont find out til it happens, Ohhhh though I may find out at the 3D scan i forgot about that scan!
    Lets hope bubs is going to kind to me just once, this pregnancy!! LOL

I had a massive movement with Flynn at about 35 weeks - so much so, in fact, that I was gasping in pain. It turns out the doufus was trying to turn breech!! Lucky for him he didn't!!

Hmm, thanks everyone. Maybe she was just asking about how it had been moving, and if I had felt it turn around.
    The other day when I was sitting down it felt like it was trying to turn around to have its head up again. Its bum was sticking out one side of the top of my belly, and what felt like its head trying to push out my left side. So not comfortable. I actually pushed on the bum and the head to try and make it go back the way it was. Baby went back as it was and settled for a while, but gees it was uncomfortable and made me feel quite sick.