Thread: Having Baby at 34 weeks

allyfield Guest

Default Having Baby at 34 weeks

Hi

Has anyone out there had there baby at 34 weeks and it has been ok.

I am just curious I just have a feeling that something is going to happen soon been getting a few pains which have caught my breath.

Got my doctors appointment on monday so will ask him about it.

There have been a few premmies this year born in the premature birth forum, maybe go and check out some of their journey's. I have had quite a few pains in the past week. A few that have caught my breath & caused me to stop what I am doing. Luckily they have settled down today... I had pre-labour with Matilda for around 2 weeks and then wound up being overdue so hopefully its just your body preparing! I've heard the second time around your body is more "prepared" for birth but still goes through practice runs. HTH!

34 weeks should be fine, though obviously not ideal.
    I had some really nasty contractions last weekend that I would have sworn were the real deal but when I was checked I'm not dilated or effaced at all so they were nothing.....I think our bodies know what they're doing better this time around and they're just getting ready.
    Fingers crossed all is fine for you as well.

We would prefer not to have a baby at 34 weeks however there is usually not much problem with them. As others have said they often need a little help with their breathing.
    The pains you are feeling are probably Braxton Hicks

beastie Guest

my friend has had her twins at 34 weeks and they are healthy and clever

I had my first DS at 28 weeksw, and was told he had like a 80% chance of survival, and that every week after that, the % goes through the roof. A bub at 34 weeks, would not have too many problems at all, just maybe feeding, and a little help breathing at first.
    Try not to stress hun, with all mine, i had premature labour, which they stopped, and with my last 2 DS, they went to full term (for a c-section anyway).
    Fingers crossed that you go one to full term hun

Ally, I agree it sounds like BH. I didn't have painful BH at all with first pg, this time I've been having them for weeks. Each time they start I think it could be labour, as they feel so much the same.
    34 weeks is usually the point at which bubs just require the SCN rather than NICU. A friend of mine had a 34 weeker that was small for gestation and still only needed SCN. Bub was home after 2 weeks and is thriving. So if it were to happen, it wouldn't be ideal but it wouldn't be a disaster either!
    Good luck!
    Melanie

Hi,

I had an emergency induction with my DD at late 34 wks, early 35 wks (depending on which dates you go by) due to fetal distress.

When they knew i was about to give birth, the entire room filled with people, 2 of them were peadiatricians. As soon as she was out they quickly cut the cord and whisked her away to be checked over. They were shocked to bring her back to me a while later being perfectly healthy. She was fine. They had anticipated breathing problems and while her first apgar was 6 and then 9 at 5 mins, she was fine and coped well with just a little bit of oxygen being held near her face.

She did experience feeding problems though as at that gestation they dont have a sucking reflex and it took alot to get her to feed and alot to get her tongue out of the way and the bottle in her mouth. We got to go home in the normal time frame but at 10 days she had to be rehospitalised as she wasnt feeding proparly and was rapidly loosing weight. She was 5pd5 born and dropped to 4pd 13. She spent 5 days in hospital with a naso gastric tube in. After that she picked up.

She is now 19 mths old, we still have weight issues with her but overall she did extremely well.