Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: head cold

nelliesbelly Guest

Default head cold

any tips for treating it whilst pregnant?

last night I was waking every 15 mis or so from the throat pain and I even had icecream at 3am to soothe the pain

I have taken some panadol but thought some panadeine short term might help.

I wonder if I should ring the midwife cos I dont want to go and see the GP its a 35 min drive each way and 60 min wait!

any ideas?

Babushka Doll Guest

Hmmm, sound like we have the same thing! I woke up with a sore throat and stuffed up head.

I had a cold over xmas and I wasn't able to take anything except panadol, and gargle with warm salty water. I found honey and lemon tea worked well to and steaming your head over a bowl of boiling water (don't use vicks).
    Some strepsils are ok, you just need to ask the chemist which ones, as some have extra stuff thats not good during pregnancy, you can't even gargle with betadine because apparently there is something in that that isn't recommened....

argghh the joys!

nelliesbelly Guest

OK I might head off to the chemist and ask them for some safe stuff to get by . My main concern is trying to get comfortable enough to sleep. Last night Id only sleep as long as the lozenge would keep the pain away so I was awake every 15 min or so.

Now to add to the joy Ive got mild thrush too. TMI sorry.

The joys!

Thanks for replying

Panadol, and lots of honey and lemon. That's about it. It sucks bigtime doesn't it?

oh wow reading your post is like reading a post I was going to make LOL I am feeling exactly the same and I have just started noticing mild thrush too, there must be something going around,
    how did you go did anything in particular help you sleep better as I had an awful night last night I can only hope tonight is better.

Hi girls,

I hope you're all feeling much better. I had a cracker of a cold a few weeks ago and hot honey lemon drinks worked great for the throat. I also had a sinus infection and found Fess spray (its over the counter at the chemist), its just a saline water spray that you spray up your nose and gives relief from being all stuffed up. I also found that sleeping propped up a bit worked for me to stop the midnight head throbbing. HTH xoxo

nelliesbelly Guest

Hi Amym i didnt get to your post yesterday sorry - how did you go sleeping?

my cold is now at the wheezy and cough stage and i got a few hours sleep last night so went back to work today. thrush also gone. YAY

I had panadeine at night when it got really bad and it helped me sleep. propping up on pillows helped too and susiet said. and icecream- i raided the fridge twice as my throat was burning and it helped!!

GP said I had a fever and bp up again and swelling so did the wee test for pre-eclampsia again just to be safe. But im sure its just the lack of sleep.

hope you are better

Hi Babushka Doll
    Why do you say not to use vicks?

I am glad you are feeling better,

I am now at the stage of still being all congested and feeling like rubbish, but I also still ahve thrush and now have a wheezy cough I feel like I have athsma atm and my breathing is awful,

I have been lucky in that the sore throat has gone away so I am glad for that, sleeping hmm whats that LOL, I have been getting a little sleep but waking often due to my coughing and blooked nose,

Looks like I miss out on mothers day lunch with my family boohoo, but I ma not sharing this and now DD has got it too, she has been crying about having a sore throat this morning so I know it is just begining as thats how it started for me too.

Alan is it ok to use Vicks?

nelliesbelly Guest

Amym I am exactly the same. So wheezy and continually coughing. ive had asmtha in the past so pharmacist recommended i try ventolin too. i cough constantly all day and i think i had braxton hicks today although not sure if caused by coughing constantly or just coincidence.

Just be a little careful how much ventolin you take. It is one of the drugs used to stop contractions. Also one of its side effects is heart palpatations

Alan, is the constant coughing bad for bubs, and when I am sick does the baby feel sick too??? I have just been wondering as baby has been quiter these past few days sicnce being sick

nelliesbelly Guest

Hi Alan. I have been getting palpitations from the ventolin- I wasnt sure what to do, its all so confusing which is better? I mean the palpitations dont worry me but are they worse for the baby or is poor breathing.

Amym my baby is quieter too. She seems to get the hiccups when I have longer coughing fits- not sure if coincidence.

Wow thats the same here too, quite but loads of hiccups especially after a massive coughing fit. so perhaps its not coincidance as thats what is happening here too, kinda funny well not really funny ha ha but you know what I mean that someone else that is around the same pg is going through the same things with getting sick etc.

nelliesbelly Guest

I know tis funny! I feel so bad when she gets the hiccups I just wonder if my constant coughing is making the precious little one uncomfortable.

nelliesbelly Guest

Also Amym, I am still blowing nose heaps sometimes dots of blood in there which i think is normal for preg. And sometimes coughing up dark yellow stuff which i think might be an infection. The dr will just prescribed antibiotics which I dont like at all. How likely is it to fight off an infection (if it is that) yourself while pregnant do you know?

its weird as sometimes only for a very short time my nose clears completely, then it gloggs up all over again and yup out come the tissues again.
    and yeah its all the same here too, and that dark yellow stuff from my chest is awfull but yup I am sure it indicates an infection.
    I think maybe take a pg multi vitamin and some extra vitamin C thats what I am doing, I dont like antibiotics either, I think they make you worse before you get better and they cant be good for the baby.
    I reckon as long as you eat well and get some extra vitamins and minerals it should be possible to fight the infection yourself, just if it starts to hit any harder deffinately go to the dr, just to make sure its nothing more serious, and doesnt worsen.

I feel terrible for bubs each time I cough I feel sorry for the poor little thing I can vision him/her jumping around and bumping cause of my caughing and getting squeezed LOL prolly silly and he/she is fine but I cant help but think I am having a negatinve effect on them.

nelliesbelly Guest

Hello Im feeling better after a weekend of rest. YAY. looks like Ive fought it off myself. Im still sniffly and a bit wheezy but not bad so thats great. Thanks for everyones help.

Amym how are you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast