Thread: hearburn/reflux

maggie Guest

Default hearburn/reflux

Hi, i am almost 29w and i think i have heartburn /reflux. last week when i mentioned my symptons to my obs he said to take metamucil and it was reflux

The last 2weeks, a couple of hrs after i have eaten, i feel like i am going to vomit, my throat is so clogged up, and i burp a lot. have a lot of wind

Is this heartburn or reflux. obs said to expect it for the rest of the preg now...

I thought heartburn was when your stomach acid crept up your oesophagus due to a relaxing of the valve at the entrance of your tummy......I chew Gaviscon after meals and it lines the back of your throat or something so you don't notice the heartburn...

I'd be interested in the answer to what this is as well! I am getting this horrible acid-y burpy thing both when I am hungry, and then again just after eating. Ant-acids have helped a little, but still would like to know what it is that is causing it.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

hi girls,
    well I had the most horrible heart burn /acid reflux and worst burping I've every had in my life - long loud (embarrassing burps), I could not stop them.. at work and in meeting everyone was forgiving, but for me it was horrible..and it hurt... I took copious amounts of anti-acids which helped, but which I think lead to my annemia..(calcium decreases your absorption of iron).. I was taking Ferton C, but my iron levels were going down and down each month...

anyway after several long painful months of this (including having to sleep at a 90 degree angle to sleep - anything less and I would actually vomit up my stomach acids) I found the only real cure... milk - full fat cows milk (with milo as I can't stand the taste).... now I'm drinking about a litre a day... I keep some by my bed and just take little sips when I need to roll over.. sleeping on the right hand side of your body also helps...

Also, as my little baby girl has now dropped - 1/5 engagged - it has lessened the pain.. anyway, I truely understand what your going through, and I hope that the milk helps...as it was really my true saviour!

Sal Guest

I had very bad heartburn in the third tri - none of those heartburn tablets would help it. There is a cure, however: having the baby

Hospital gave me a sample of antacids called Rennin i think it was called but they didnt work for me.. milk usually does.

I had heartburn thru most of my pregnancy and I just ate quick ease like lollies which seemed to work for me.

Melinda Guest

Ooooh heartburn - ouchies. I had it when PG with Jacob, and have it again this PG too. My OB prescribed Zantac for me, and that helps.

Heartburn and reflux is often classified as the same thing.

Love

I have suffered reflux for the whole pregnancy (i also suffered reflux just prior to getting pregnate) I get a burning sensation at the back of my throat and going down to my stomach. I tried antacids but they made me sick. I now take Zantec. if i dont i get reflux within 1/2 hour of eating. Zantec is ok to have during pregnancy you just need a script. good luck

lucysmummie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    Chantal, you don't need a script anymore for Zantac tablets. You used to a few years ago, but I used them during my last pg from Xmas '04 with no script.

ur doctor can perscribe it to you but its called Ranni2 and its heaps cheaper than buying it off the counter(zantac)! Ive had the worst heart burn/reflux this pregnancy so usually of a day I get up have a glass of milk and a quikeze tablet or 20mils of the milanta drink and 2 ranni tablets then of a night it HAS to be at 6pm otherwise I get the heart burn back I take another ranni tablet and then a maxalon tablet plus anoother glass of milk and some quikeze, sometimes during the night i still get up to get some milk but I have 4 pillows to help keep it down otherwise ill vomit...

mayb ask ur doctor for some strong stuff if uve tried everything ive had this since I was about 20wks and its been aweful...try not to eat acidic foods or lie down after u eat..all that... hope it helps

I have found apples and milk help allieviate heartburn.

skorpy Guest

Correct... Milk is a great help,i always drink that when i get heartburn

if you cant get the tablets when u need them, (eg you hve run out and it is like 7pm on a sunday night) milk, mylanta, or even better, go through the McDonalds drive through and get a vanilla thickshake, works instantly, plus satisfies the odd craving.

Definitely sounds like reflux
    I get this something shocking when I'm not even pregnant. So far this preg I've managed to keep it under control (with the Rani tablets someone already mentioned) but in the last week they are not working as well as the acid is so bad I feel like being sick
    Reni tablets or Mylanta tabs work well if it's mild, these are OTC at the chemist and fine during pregnancy.
    If that doesn't work I would get some Zantac or ask your doc for a script for Rani tabs (same thing). I took them right through my DD's pregnancy they are safe.
    I know many people don't like to take medication when pregnant but ignoring reflux can cause some nasty damage to your oesophegus and you don't want that either