Thread: Heartburn - not a happy camper!

Unhappy Heartburn - not a happy camper!

I really hate to whinge as I've thoroughly enjoyed my pg and am sooo excited to be nearing the end but it's all just getting a little too much for me right now!!!

I've had really terrible hearburn for the last half of this pg and so far, have been able to control it with the use of Zantac. I'm now taking tablets to the minute of them running out - they last for 12 hours (with my OB's approval) but last night and today, the tablets don't seem to be helping at all. It's terribly painful and is really getting me down. Does anyone know (Alan maybe?) if I can also chew Rennies or Quickeze whilst taking Zantac?? I hate taking things and it really took a lot for my OB to convince me to start taking the Zantac in the first place - so I'm nervous about chewing more things at the same time - iykwim??

I just wish there was a sure fire way to get things happening - I really want to meet our precious little bub now!!! Its all just very uncomfortable and I hate being so miserable, it's not me!!!

Hope everyone is well and thanks for listening!!

Kelly xxx

Oh Kelly, , you poor thing, I'm sorry it's getting worse for you!

Alan for sure will be able to help you. I have heard that there's another thing you can take for heartburn during pg, if Zantac isn't that effective for you. Myabe give your Ob a call tomorrow and have a chat with him about it, see what he recommends?

Also, I'm sure you're doing this already, but make sure you're pretty careful about what you eat. I know sometimes even a glass of water can make it worse, but there are definitely foods that are best to stay away from.

Sorry I can't help you more, I really hope it settles for you soon

Nothign would work for me when i was pg with DD, in fact the only thing that would work (and its a big no no) was Mc Donalds chocolate thickshakes!

Hey Kelly, I have been double dosing, taking a zantac and chewing a mylanta every so often. I hope it is ok, but I am so desperate sometimes I just don't really care iykwim. In my hunt for labour induction stuff in acupressure I came across an acupressure point for morning sickness and heartburn and breathing problems and it did minimize the reflux for me a bit. 3 finger widths above your inside wrist in between the 2 tendons you apply firm pressure 20X or keep pressure on it and open and close your fist 20X, hopefully it works for you.
    Last edited by Sair; April 15th, 2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling hehe

pebbles2820 Guest

I slept sitting up for the last 3mts of my first pg. Drink mint tea, it does help, and I lived on mylanta and rennies(while taking other meds) and didn't affect my DD. Good luck, not long to go.

I've found that eating/drinking things with lots of sugars sparks my indigestion off, maybe see if you can identify a culprit to remove so you can get by with just the Zantac?

Hi, I just wanted to suggest you might try Gaviscon. It sort of forms a floating plug that stops your tummy contents refluxing into your oesophagus. It's very soothing too. I checked it on Emims and it's Category A for pregnancy.

HTH

Kelly - I am so with you (although not in the past few days so who knows what is going on). It is such a pain. I have only really been getting reflux after 5pm .... the downside is that I can get reflux with water

No real suggestions for you, just a big hug Not long to go!!!!

Kelly -

My OB has me on the Zantac as well, with Rennie in between. He's also OK with the low-aluminium Gaviscon. I've found drinking milk (chocolate flavour - Classic brand) to also help as that's very thick, or drinking milk with cream mixed in helps too. Instead of drinking water, I put heaps of ice cubes in my milk and crunch them up, that's been OK.

Good luck - I know how awful it feels. Don't forget to eat early and to be upright for a while after eating - I've also been sleeping almost sitting up too, and that's been helping.

Thanks so much everyone!! I really appreciate the advice and have started chewing Rennies & Quickeze along with the Zantac which is helping.

I'm with you Michelle - even water sets it off, so I've been drinking HEAPS of milk lately - I find spearmint and chocolate milk the best but I'm sure that's not the best thing for me to be drinking, oh well, whatever helps!!!

It's just not easing at all but I have another appointment with my OB on Wed, so I'll have another chat to him - he hinted at maybe trying me on a double dose of Zantac, but I'm not sure I want to go there.

Kelly xxx

Rennie tablets are fine to take when pregnant - they are basically just calcium tablets. towards the end of my last pegnancy i went through heaps of them and they were reccommended to me by my ob for the bad indigestion.

Hi, I have heartburn, too. But I'm not on zantac. I alternate between rennies & tums. It might be just in my mind, but it seems like my body develops a "resistance" to them if I don't swap brands occasionally. I wake up most nights with bad heartburn at around 2am and that's although I usually take two tablets before going to sleep. It's quite annoying, but to be honest, for me it's the only bad pregnancy symptom, so I feel very lucky.

Saying about heartburn is it true when you get it thats a sign your baby has quite a bit of hair as from what iv heard from other people they have had troublewith heartburn and suffered quite a bit and when there baby was born they had a mop of hair is this true or not? Just il be 35 weeks on saturday and iv had it once maybe twice in the whole of my pregnancy so just curious to weather this is jus a old wifes tale or the real thing...

mine had a full mop of red hair - I can't remember getting heartburn with Jackson though.

I have really bad heartburn this time around, I have the chewy quick ease because the liquids and chalk tablets make me spew anyway!! Just a word of warning, don't get the lemon and ginger flavour, they are gross, and the ginger seems to make the heartburn worse! The forest berry work great - I chew one to two of them after any food that I think may repeat on me and it works a treat

I take Zantac extra strength and I chew Gaviscon as well and finally I don't suffer all too bad.In the tablets Mylanta tastes like bi carb soda, the double strength tastes like candy but doesn't seem to work, Rennie is too mild but tastes good, Gaviscon peppermint tastes good when you get used to the chewyness but the cool flavour is gross. I don't know about the liquids because I needed something portable. 3 more weeks for me now anyway WOOHOO!

dawnatello12 Guest

i tried tums and gaviiscon and found the gaviscon works better. i also drink vanilla milkshakes too sometimes and that can be helpful!!