Thread: Help/

Default Help/

Hello ladies,

I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my first baby and have been suffering with terrible leg cramps since about week 20. My OB recommended extra calcium and magnesium, which hasn't really helped and although I only get leg cramps every couple of nights, I have recently (the past week) found that my legs and feet are tingling and it's driving me insane!

I find it's worse when I sit down or when I go to bed and try to get to sleep... I have tried walking around the house a little to try to get the blood circulating and although it helps for a little while, it isn't long before it comes back...

I am seeing my OB again on 30 August, but was wondering whether you might have some help or advice to offer that I can try in the meantime to relief some of this tingling?

Many thanks in advance.

It is a bit of an old wives tale, but it worked for me... Have a glass of milk and a banana before you go to bed - the milk for calcium and the banana for potassium.

On the nights that I remembered to do it I never got a leg cramp, but did on the nights that I forgot. Mind you, by the sounds of things mine weren't as bad as yours.

GL, I hope this gives you a little bit of relief or somebody else has a better suggestion

I used to lay on the cold tiles in the bathroom. Not sure if it was the cold or whether it was a mind over matter thing but it seemed to help.

When I had leg cramps as a teenager my Dr told me I needed more salt and to each salty potato chips
    But there are healthier ways to get more potassium
    I hope you get some relief soon xxoo

I'm with Miss E- Milk and banana- even if I don't have it before bed, if I don't have either during the day I get leg cramps!

Also make sure you're really well hydrated, I know that means more loo trips... but, I'd rather the loo trips than the cramps!

HTHs

I used to get terrible leg cramps with my Ds1. I would wake in the middle of the night almost screaming in pain. and then i would hurt for a few days after as well

I was told to eat more banana's and it worked. I would eat 1-2 a day..

Never, EVER point your toes in bed.

yeh always pull your foot back up towards your ankle.. It makes the cramp pass faster

Milk-calcium bananas-magnesium
    It's actually better to try to ride out the cramp or contract your muscle than pull it in the opposite direction.
    I had debilitating cramps in my first pg from my toe to my hip. I really think a good magnesium supplement (not just what you get at the chemist) helped prevent them with my second pg as well as changing to a different multi vitamin (nutrimedicine)

Sorry I cant give any advice, but just wanted to say ouchie and get hubby to massage them out for you.. hehe I hope the banana's and milk help...

Thanks to everyone for your tips and help.

I had a banana and some milk last night before going to bed and NO leg cramps through the night. I still had a bit of tingling in my left foot though for an hour or so before heading to bed, but thankfully after a warm shower it stopped and no tingling since then.

Have had a banana this morning, a glass of milk at brekky and a Strawberry Breaka at lunch, so hopefully that's a good dose of calcium and potassium for the day and I'll have another good night without cramps tonight!

Thanks again!

hi pretz I hope the banana and milk keep working for you. I also had cramps on and off during the 2nd tri and the start of the 3rd tri. I was eating bananas like they were going out of fashion and I was having extra magnesium and calcium. Then my acupuncturist told me that low kidney energy was causing my cramps and gave me different herbs and then I started noticing that after each session I'd go a few days without any cramps and then they'd start to come back again not long before my next session. He also told me bananas were the worst thing for me to eat as they are one of the 'coolest' foods in chinese medicine terms and I needed to eat hot foods, so I guess everyone is different. I haven't had a problem since stopping eating bananas!

No fun are they Pretz. I agree with what everyone else has said and apparently low magnesium is sometimes to blame. So perhaps check with your doc that its ok to take some when you next visit