Thread: High Blood Pressure and other questions

Default High Blood Pressure and other questions

Hi

I had my 36+ week appointment with the doctor yesterday and blood pressure was high, 150/95. She sent me for blood test and had to pee in a cup. It all came back ok. Had to go on monitor for about 45mins, all was good was having uterine contractions, which i have been having for about 3 weeks now. They took blood pressure again and it was 125/95. She was almost not going to let me go home. Have to go back in on Friday to have it checked again.

Has anybody had this happen and if so what happened. I should also mention that i have very fat feet and carpel tunnel in both hands.

Also as i have been having pains for about 3 weeks now, very uncomfortable, lasting most of the day and night and extreme pressure between the legs. Baby's head is not engaged yet.

Has anybody had this and if so when did you go into labour, was it early or late.

Thanks for your help.

Suzi

Hmmmm i had High blood pressure and i had a c section because of it. pre clampsia. but i dont know about the other things. i guess if they were highly worried she wouldnt have sent you home, i guess u just have to take it easy, which is easier said then done

Hi Tiny One
    Your BP is a little too high but it is not scary high. It does however need to be watched. As Shannon said you have PIH you do not have PE. Shannon also gave some great tips for keeping your BP down. I also agree with her on the pains, it does sound like Braxton Hicks.

PS I think Shannon is after my job

Hi

Thanks for the replys and info. I will try all the things suggested. It is very hard to just lie down.

I have to go to the hosspital on Friday for a HON test, thats what they call it at Mona Vale Hospital. They take your blood pressure 3 times, sitting, standing then sitting again. Will see what happens.

I sure hope that all these pains do make labour a little easier.

Thanks again

Suzi

Morning Suzi

I am currently going through the exact same situation as you just a couple of weeks in advance!
    BP is similar to yours, had Bloods checked monday all good- diagnosed with PIH and have been started on methyldopa antihypertensive meds. My ob wants me to be induced tonight!!
    He did an internal Tues and a stretch and sweepwhich has brought on contractions and have had overnight. My cervix was very soft, effaced and 2 cm, so I think quite favourable for the s+s. So far my contractions come for an hour then ease off for a while, then come back. All far more intense and different from the BH etc I was getting prior to yesterday.

I am quite swollen in feet, hands and face in the morning, slightly headachy, and ob wants to get things going to fully prevent pre-eclampsia, and as you can see by my due date that is fine by me!

So I guess this is more common than I though 'cos Suzi and Hawksey I am also going through the same things aswell! I went for my usual weekly check up last Thursday and was promptly rush off to have some test taken (ctg scan,blood test and blood pressure profile) it was so scary I didnt really understand what was happenning! My scan and blood test where fine but my blood pressure was still 140/90 after an hour of lying down,thinking calming thoughts and being checked every 15mins! (it was 150/90 when I first arrived) They aslo were not going to let me go home but after some questioning and deliberation I was allowed to go but had to go back monday for another b/p profile and then a blood test/urine test today. B/P was 135/95 on monday and eventually went down to 120/80 so I was allowed to go.I have my clinic check up tomorrow so fingers crossed all will be ok.(I was looking forward to sitting on my couch for the next 3wks!!)

Suzi,I've also had bad carpel tunnel at night,pressure between the legs and baby isnt engaged yet either! I had an antenatal class last week and asked the midwife about carpel tunnel and the pressure situation and she told me I could see the physio therapist to get a brace for my wrists and for my back(which apparently helps keep the pelvis bones together and lessens the pressure),I havent done it yet but it might help?

Just wanted to say thanks to shannon and alan,you both really helped explain a few things for me too

paradise lost Guest

I had PIH all through my PG (was 120/85 when i booked in at 11 weeks, went up as high as 162/109 at times) and had white-coat hypertension too, which meant everytime i was sent into hospital to have it done it rocketed. It was for me a complete nightmare as i got SO stressed.

In the end my midwives ONLY took my BP with a sphig (the manual cuff and stethascope) as just the machine itself freaked me out so much, and i had student and qualified MW's who were doing their hypnobirth courses come in to "practice" visualisations on me. TO give you an idea of how scared i was, one day i went into hospital to have my BP done and my fluid levels checked by ultrasound (i was 7 days overdue) and my first BP reading with a machine was 162/109. 15 minutes later, after a calming visualisation with the midwife, it was 101/88 on the machine, and 5 minutes after THAT, with the sphig it was 100/80. I am so scared even now of getting my BP checked! Interestingly the lowest BP reading i ever got was during labour, between 2nd stage contractions, and it was 98/70.

Alan do you also notice a difference with white-coat between the machine and the sphig? And does BP commonly fall during labour/2nd stage?

Bx

ETA the Ob did say i was a freak of nature to have such a labile diastolic rate.

When i was 36wks pg with my DS I had BP taken by OB on the fri and it was up slightly, by the Monday it was something around 150 or 160 and my blood test etc came back with "issues" 1 hr later I was induced, 5 hrs later I had my beautiful baby boy :-) It took nearly 5 days for my BP to come back down to normal! I had a feeling that something was wrong on the weekend and went and finsihed all my christmas shopping and got everything ready. I had very swollen feet, legs and face.

Wishing all of you the best with your pgs and hoping you all take it nice and easy and listen to your body - it is telling you to slow down and rest :-) I know easier said then done. All the best for your pgs!

well there u go lol i was totally wrong lol

paradise lost Guest

No Beautiful Madness you're totally right, hypertension (high blood pressure) IS a symptom of pre-eclampsia, but they usually confirm it with other things too. Like you can have a bit of protein in your urine, or you can have high BP, or you can be a bit swollen, but two or more together can be a sign of PE, and then they do the blood test to confirm. Not wrong at ALL!

Bx