Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hindwaters...

Default Hindwaters...

HINDWATERS: the balance of the amniotic fluid surrounding the baby's body and not trapped in front of the head at engagement; it usually flows from the uterus after the forewaters during the first or at the beginning of the second stage of labor once the membrane has ruptured.
    Has anyone had their hindwaters break before going into labour? How long before you went into labour?

The reason I ask is because mine broke last night & I was told they just reseal themselves, unlike the forewaters. The midwife told me just to go to my regular appointment on Wednesday as if nothing had happened....

I have heard of this but no idea how it happens. Seems strange to me how they can brake without your waters breaking. I just can't comprihend that! Sorry i'm no help.

Apparently there's a seperate membrane between them. Not so sure what they're for either, can't find that anywhere.

It really isn't good when you can't find something on the internet that is simple or common. That really annoys me. I will try having a look for you.

Well I tried looking on 3 different search engines and in 4 different books and found zip! Not a thing. Sorry Sarah. Hope you had better luck.

sunshine68 Guest

hi sarah,
    i looked up info on hindwaters and i found plenty women have experienced the same as you. and were also told the same. it said that hindwaters is just extra fluid that sits outside of the amniotic sac within the womb.
    but if you have any doubts i would contact your midwife or doctor again.

good luck
    sunshine

Sarah, the Midwife at our Antenatal Class on Thursday talked about Hindwaters and Forewaters, now if I remember right the hindwaters are at the top of your bump and leak slowly when they do break your forwaters at the bottom of your bump come out in a gush.

I think I can recall Nell say she went to hospital with the same thing and it was her hindwaters - I remember wondering at the time what are hindwaters but never got around to asking her, hopefully she will come on and tell you how long it was before she started regular contractions.

Take Care

Deeanne

Yep - this happened to Nell, so contact her sarah. I'm hoping your birth process isn't quite what hers was though......
    [-o<

I totally forgot about that happening to Nell, thanks for reminding me guys I might send her a PM & ask her.

Dee and Fi - you guys have great memories!

Yep, I went into hospital a week before Matthew arrived as I woke up wet one morning, it wasn't much fluid though. Well not as much as actual waters breaking.

I was told it was my hindwaters... although I don't exactly know where it comes from, just that it is a small tear in the sac. I was told that it would either reseal itself or my actual waters would break. Neither actually happened! I constantly 'leaked' for the next week, until the ob actually broke my waters. I had to wear a pad for the entire time and constantly change it. (during that week) When I got home from the hospital that night, I then had my 'show'.

You may remember that I had actual contractions from the Monday, then being induced Wednesday night.... etc etc, it's all in my birth story!

HTH's a little Sarah, let me know if you need any further info!

Thanks for that Nell.

My leak has pretty well stopped, so I'm guessing it might've resealed pretty quick - they told me the same thing as you. So you had your show the night of the hindwater leak? Nothing in tht regards here yet.

I might just go check out your birth story again. See what I might be in for

*Megan* Guest

Sarah - I just popped in here but don't know anything about your question....but wondered how you are going? Any signs of bubs yet? 40wks and 1 day!! How exciting!!!

Megan

No sign yet Megan other than the leak the other night *sigh* He's still hanging it there!

mooshie Guest

hi sarah

well back in 1998 withmy first i woke 1 day after my due date at 3am with a gush of fluid (clear) rang hospital they said to have a shower eat breaky and come in when ready - i wasn't having contractions and we ended up at the hospital at 5am, they hooked me up on the monitor and i was having mild contractions - i was not feeling them however. my ob/gyn saw me at 7am and said it was my hind waters that had broken and said that he could either break my forewaters and put the drip in to induce me or i could wait but it could be a further 48hrs - i was keen so we went ahead with the induction with our first baby born at 5pm that day. after many years and 2 children later i sometimes question whether it was the right thing or was it just a convenience for my ob/gyn (i went pvt) i still don't know and i guess i will never know - anyway i had no regrets but i do wish maybe i should have just let nature take its course as it was a terrible labour compared to my other two.

good luck and soon you will have your dear little boy

mama mel Guest

Hi Sarah,

My waters broke before labour started, I was told they were my hind waters at the time but after reading some of these posts, I'm wondering if it was both sacs as I gushed like a tap and I was changing maternity pads every 1-2hrs until I had her 3 days later.

My story starts pretty much identical to Mooshie's - My waters broke at 3.30am (Tues morn), got into the hospital a couple of hours later with mild contractions. They asked me if I wanted to be induced at 8am but I looked at them like they were crazy thinking I'd be back in there by midday to have her naturally anyway. Went home, cont's got stronger.. by 3pm they were coming every 3mins for an hour and a half so we get in the car and all of a sudden - back to every 10mins but still unbearable! By Wed morn, on the phone hysterical begging to be induced but they were too full and couldn't do it until Thurs. Anyway, had her 61hrs after my waters broke at 4.48pm Thurs. I had been worried about extra pain from being induced but would definately go for induction if the same thing happened this time around!

I find it strange that she'd say to go on as normal, when mine broke I had to take antibiotics so she wouldn't get an infection before she was born. As it was, she had a fever for a few days afterwards anyway.. Is it possible to get a 2nd opinion from another MW just to be sure?

Good luck, hope it all goes well for you. It doesn't sound like it'll be far off now!

*Megan* Guest

Thanks for the update Sarah and I will be thinking of you over the coming week...hope that your little boy comes very soon...

Megan

That's interesting Mel :-k A midwife did the internal & both her & the Dr checked & said it definately was not the forewaters. Maybe that's what the difference is? I basically had the one gush & that was it, no leakage since. Bubba is still moving like crazy so I'm sure he's ok in there still.

hey sarah, what did the hindwaters look like? sorry if that sounds dumb, but they broke my waters with joshua and im a bit worried i might miss it if something does break or leak.. specially with the pains ive been getting latley..

take care
    Lesley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast