Thread: How baby breathes after water breaks??

Default How baby breathes after water breaks??

Hi everyone,

My DH and i were discussing birth and labour last night and he asked me a question that i didnt know how to answer, even after having four babies already lol

He wanted to know how the baby breathes after the water has broken, they have been breathing in the water for nine months and then all of a sudden there isnt any. He wondered how women can go as long as days without the baby having the water???

TIA

Lea x

Lea I think that the waters replenish themselves up until you actually give birth. HTH.

hugs xoxo

Thanks Amanda, that makes sense, he'll be pleased i can answer him tonight now lol

i was told that they dont "breathe" until they are born, before that their lungs dont work and they get oxygen from the blood moving thru the umbilical cord.......
    feel free to correct me tho

Yep, I'm pretty certain bubba isn't breathing, really swallowing the fluid. Bub will get oxygen rich blood while the cord is attached and pulsating...

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, as I have always thought this!!

The baby gets oxygen from the umbilical cord so doesn't "breathe" the fluid but they do draw it in and out of their lungs to exercise them. The also swallow it for the same reason.

This is what i was told by the middie -
    Bub's head blocks off the exit, so that you're either only leaking a little bit, or after the first gush then leaking.
    You don't lose it all at once - Think of how much fluid comes out when you birth the shoulders. Maybe i was just top full of fluid?
    So say, bub isn't wholly engaged when your waters break, you might lose a huge gush, but then as bubs head blocks off everywhere, you only trickle?

LOL mind you that didnt answer your question re: how baby breathes, but the others have done that for you.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's funny isn't it that when they have to resuss a baby that they immediately cut the cord and work on the baby somewhere else when common sense you would think to resuss the baby, cord still attached on the bed with mum so that the oxygen is still available from the cord. Midwives will do that at homebirths.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

That's exactly right Kelly. Why do they feel the need to sever the only supply of oxygen some babies have. Why can't they work on bub next to mum, or is it because it would be too traumatic ?? Umm I think I'd still be distressed if my baby was on the other side of the room....