Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big is the carry bag?!

luckydraw Guest

Default How big is the carry bag?!

Hi girls,

I am now 38w3d pregnant. As the baby can come out at any time, I start to prepare the carry bag for the hospital. After reading the list provided, I feel that a big luggage bag is needed as if I will go away for a holiday.

Is that making sense? Sorry for this silly question, I gonna no experience as a first time mum-to-be. Thanks!

Luckydraw

Kirsty77 Guest

My bag first time round was huge!! I over packed badly!LOL! But I'm glad I did just in case and I ended up having a c/s so needed all the extra nighties I packed instead of the pj pants.

I went with a suitcase and an overnight bag, lol. I was out in less than 48 hours.

I took a large bag and was out within 48hrs. Just take what you feel comfortable with.

IT depends how long you are in hospital for. If you are going public it is only likely to be a few days so you won't need much. In private hospitals and if you have a caesarean, you can be in for five as I was.

I packed five nighties (all of which I used) seven pairs of undies, a bag with soap, toothbrush etc. For the baby, I packed six bunny rugs, six suits and six singlets. Any dirty laundry I gave to DH when he visited.

Maybe a good idea would be to pack the "essentials" in one bag, and leave the other bag with DH to bring in the next day or as thigns are needed.
    Take a few plastic shopping bags as they are great to send dirty washing home in, and to wrap around flower stems for the homeward journey too.

I have packed 3 bags... 1 for baby which isn't needs straight away anyway... 1 that has my "stuff" maternity pads, clothes etc... and 1 for the birthing suite. So if we are running out the door DH knows which is the most important to grab (labour) and then others can come within a day or two. They are all small bags but I wanted to keep them separate for ease.

I took 2 big bags - one filled with my stuff and one with bub's. Actually, you could count it as 3 because one of the bags had a zip-off backpack section that I had my labour stuff packed into. Plus I had several plastic bags of just-in-case stuff that I left in the car so that DH could bring it up to me if needed. I ended up being in hospital for 6 days so I needed all the stuff I packed for me but I definitely overpacked for bub (didn't know what size he was going to be so I took heaps of clothes LOL!).

Same as Christy......I had 3 overnight sized bags (for all 3 births).

*One for me and my stuff for the stay in hospital
    *One for baby and all their stuff
    *One for actual labour....(including CD machine and oil burner, big towel, special t-shirt, snacks for DH etc etc)

Don't stress over how much: always best to have too much than not enough......I was embarassed at how much I had at first with Olivia's birth, but realised that everyone is so focused on you and your baby, they don't care about your luggage!!

Phew! I'm due to go into labour any minute and I was stressing over the fact that I'd packed two carry-on sized bags to the brim full of stuff....plus my banana pillow! I'm going private so will be in either 4 days or 6 days if for any reason it ends up being a caesar....only need one baby outfit though as they provide clothes and nappies in the hospital!

only need one baby outfit though as they provide clothes and nappies in the hospital
    My hospital also provided all the nappies and clothes, but I still took my own......hospital stuff tends to be little nighties, whereas I preferred to get my babies into Bonds suits!

luckydraw Guest

Hi girls,

Thank you so so much, now I have the exact idea.

As I will go to St Vincent's Private and it is very likely for me to have the caesarean, maybe it is better to overpack a little bit. Otherwise, if I need something else later DH may never be able to find them.

Take care and good luck to you all.

Luckydraw

With all mine, i had a weekender bag,which included all my things, and bonds suits/nappies/wipes for bubby as well, as i too dont like the little hospital nighty's

I have had caesers with mine, so this bag, was carefully packed to include 5 days worth of things. i rolled up tightly all my nighty's etc so that i could get away with just this one bag.

Smile

I have a medium sized beg i'm going to take and The hospital have asked if i can use there nappy etc for bubs while i'm in so i don't really need to take much for bubs just stuff for me

baby4 Guest

hi there
    pack your whole house if you want my suitcase on wheels is so big everyone that sees it starts laughing saying are you moving to the hospital and i say it takes a lot to have a baby im overdue and i would have to say i got a good giggle out of reading this forum and its good to no im not the only one taking lots to hospital

I took my large backpack I take when I go away for a whole week plus a small backpack (normal size one) for her clothes and my books etc.

I took a suitcase... it was full, but had stuff for DH, baby and myself in it! Also it was cold so had two winter dressing gowns as well as trackies! I was only in hospy for 18 hours, but needed everything I packed; including all the food (labour makes you soooo hungry!)

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i have been accumulating "Labour bag stuff" on the nursing chair in baby's room, putting off doing the packing cos i have felt guilty at how big the pile looks!

After reading all your entries, i feel much better about it.
    I totally agree, better to overpack than rely on the new dad or whoever to magically find what you want, when you're not there to LOOK for them!!! lol, my dh is wonderful, but visually challenged whenever it comes time to find things!!!!

Now it looks like i will be having a homebirth but i will still pack this labour bag, just in case things turn out different and i end up in hospital. Plus having the stuff in one location, gives the midwife and dh only ONE place to look when i decide i need "x".

I;m sure i saw another thread months ago about WHAT people put in the labour bag. STuff i hadn't considered like spare batteries for camera.

But it IS hard to pack for the small wriggly person you have never met before, and have no idea what size they will be! I am mainly packing 000 size stuff for her and the cutest little cloth nappies in newborn size. All in lavender. I must be nuts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast