Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you feel after your GCT test ??

Default How did you feel after your GCT test ??

How did anyone feel after having there gloucose challenge test or GD test as itis also called.

Were you able to drive after the test ?

When preg with DD (1998) I was given the glucose to take home, drink 1 hour before appt, had blood test & drove home?

I am guessing this is the same thing?

Although I know my sister had to drink hers at the clinic wait the hour there, but still drove home!

Yes Tracey it is the same thing.
    I think we have to drink ours at the hospital. I still have 5 weeks till i do mine.

Not sure if i would need DH to come with me to drive me home.

Once you have drunk it you are meant to hang around at the hospital for 1 hour they told me not to go to far in that hour. Drove home fine after the blood tests an hour later.

Love

i have mine tomorrow,
    are u supposed to not eat? as in england i wasnt allowed to eat after 8pm the night before, untill after id had all bloods done and it took longer..

i think ill skip breaky just incase anyway

take care
    Lesley

You can eat Lesley. It is only if you have to go back and do it again you can't eat.

Love

I'm going to have to do this in a couple of weeks....not looking forward to it.

It the glucose solution really gross? I'm not really into really sweet stuff!!!

I love it. I asked for more when I was preg with Kameron LOL.

Tastes like really sweet lemonade, well IMO anyway

Love

Michelle

You can drive after the GCT, that is no problem. I felt fine to drive home but it did take 2 days to feel totally normal again, I felt really vague and weird for ages. I hope that you pass with flying colours then you wont have to have the GTT!

Good Luck!

I drove home after it, felt a bit icky the rest of the night and the next day.

My ob actually gives you the drink to take home, tells you to drink it an hour before your appointment and then have the test once you get there. It's only once you have the drink they don't want you eating or drinking anything.

Dinky - you prolly felt weird because your blood sugars were high!! Hence your recent GD diagnosis!!

You are not allowed to go very far (as Kathryn said) as any movement/exercise will affect your body and the way it processes the glucose. Exercise makes you use up the sugar, and they want to know how your body processes at rest.

I'm with Kathryn - the drink tastes fine!!

...and you should be ok to drive.

Best wishes

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I drove myself home too no problems. I felt a little sickly afterwards but was fine.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I felt a bit lightheaded after mine, but still drove home. We had to go out not long after I got home, so I got Aaron to drive cos I was still feeling lightheaded.

I was ok with the taste of the drink until about half way through - I think cos it's so sweet!

I found the drink REALLY sickly, but I am not a fan of sweet stuff at the best of times. Mine was really chilled and I skulled it to avoid the sweet taste lingering.

I felt fine after mine.........bored ****less as I had to hang around for an hour, but no probs to drive home...........

Melinda Guest

I got a headache and felt really tired, but I was fine to drive and I passed my test with flying colours LOL.

I drove home after mine fine too. I loved the taste aswell. I had to do it twice though because the first time my blood pressure dropped really low and I almost fainted, mainly coz i'm so terrified of blood tests, have had a lot of BAD experiences with them.

I thought it was going to be some super thick sickly drink, but its just like one of those sports gatorade type things.

Why would there be any trouble driving afterwards ?

I did the 'drink and wait an hour' thing with my doctor.

barb.

Barb,

I thought that you were not allowed to eat before doing the test and i remember someone saying that they did not feel to good after.
    I don't mind having my blood taken it has been done so much in the passed.
    Never had the test done when pg with Kimberley.

Just wanted to make sure it was safe to drive after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast