Thread: how do you know its amniotic fluid ?

Default how do you know its amniotic fluid ?

( sorry if TMI )

For the past few days ive had increased discharge , but it has a watery consistency .. at its worst in the morning when I wake up or when I sit down , I read that during the end of the pregnancy discharge increases , but today I had a thought - what if im leaking amniotic fluid !? .. is there something that makes amniotic fluid stand out from normal discharge? I read from google that amniotic fluid will " run down your leg " .. this isnt that much or that bad so im confused.. My next appointment at the hospital is on Monday morning , should I wait till then ( since this has been going on for a few days already ).. or should I call them ( which I seem to be doing a lot of lately ) ??
    Any suggestions , much appreciated
    Last edited by enigma; May 11th, 2006 at 09:56 PM.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

You can read it in my article here: http://bellybelly.com.au/articles/bi...n-early-labour
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Enigma Honey, if you're having a watery discharge I suggest you call them. See what they say and maybe toddle up to the Hospital so they can test it. All they do is put a little peice of paper (like Litnus paper, acidity testing paper) and it tests your discharge to see if it contains amniotic fluid. It's quick, non invasive and easy. Don't worry about how often you call out for help. It's better to make sure before something hapens then to sit and wait for disaster to strike.

Thanks Kelly , just read the article .. I'll put a pad on tonight when I go to bed and see how it is in the morning.. *sigh* something new for me to stress about

Dee ( my fellow Junie ) - Thanks also for the advice , but you know how silly I feel about calling the hospital , they are probably counting down the days for me to give birth and leave them alone! .. I'll see how it is in the morning after tonight...
    Last edited by enigma; May 11th, 2006 at 10:05 PM.

The little test strips.......when I was pg with Olivia my OB gave me some for use at home if I was every really worried.......(I had called my OB office loads of times freaking out about this exact same issue....!) so it may be worth asking if your hospital will do the same? Than it can be one less thing you need to worry about.......

By the end of my pg with Tehya I was needing to wear panty liners as I had so much discharge. My midwife told me it was because I was getting closer to the due date it's just your body getting ready as your cervix softens up. SO not a bad thing. But, if you are stressing and thinking otherwise go and get check. And yes amniotic fluid has this different - almost sweet smell to it.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Increased progesterone in late pregnancy is responsible for more mucus discharge.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I was gonna say same thing... I knew mine was amniotic fluid the morning of Indah's birth as it was a sweet smell... Hard to explain but I knew I'd smelt it before & then I remembered my waters breaking in bed with Maddy...

When I had my little disaster two weeks ago, my "discharge" smelt sweet but according to my stupid midwifery team, it was only urine!
    I mean, I 'm still having a slight leak, but I'm only a mum for the 6th time, I don't know what I'm talking about.
    My fellow Junie, if you are worried follow your instincts they usually tell you the best thing to do...Keep us informed!

Kellee Guest

Enigma - my mum always tells me that she was leaking amnoitic fluid for about 2 days before she went into hard labour with my brother, and a good friend of mine had the same thing happen. I hope that everything is ok with you - I wouldn't worry about what the people at the hospital will think of you. Their jobs are to look after you and bubs and if you have any concerns you should feel free to call them. Big hugs and good luck to you.

Engima, just as a point of knowing something I just found out. I have a breach bub and I have noticed of late my discharge has been considerably greater. My gyno had said that breach can cause your membranes to rupture earlier. I knew for a fact they had not completly ruptured, but was worried I had a slow leak. Sometimes my discharge would be white/creamy mucus with watery all around. Now when I got this I wasn't too worried (which was alot), but then sometimes I would get the watery without the mucus. This would wet my underwear but was not enough to dribble down my leg or anything. Asked my gyno he checked and said it was mucous turning to fluid and was quite normal but wanted to check to be on the safe side. Hope this helps.

Thanks girls
    Sheree - seems like thats what I have.. hmm .. i had an ultrasound on Monday and the fluid levels were normal , but I still wake up with wet undies etc. So hopefully its just like you say..

Yes my undies are wet alot, doesn't help that I sweat alot too!

I've been discharging since I was about 21 weeks. It got pretty bad one night that I went up to the hospital one night and they tested it and said I was just discharging, nothing more, but I've had to wear liners every day & night since! My mum once told me that it's a sweet smell as well, different to urine? My doctor says that some women discharge more than others. Hope this helps.