Thread: how to know when your baby's head is engaged?

Isabeau Guest

Default how to know when your baby's head is engaged?

How do you know when your baby's head is engaged?

Some people can feel a difference, like having a grapefruit between your legs
    Personally, I didn't know until the midwife told me. My baby's head engaged a couple of days before she was born.

There are a few signs that could mean bub is engaged.
    You may feel the pressure reduce from your ribcage due to bub dropping further into the pelvis. This is called lightening.
    Other things you may notice is more pressure on your bladder or your girly bits or bum bulging (that unfortunatley was my sign!)

Your OB can usually tell by feeling for the head at your exam as well.

Sammi - Bum bulging??

As of last Wednesday and for about 2 weeks before this one is at approx 4/5 - so just in pelvic area basically...I actually LITERALLY heard and FELT a clunk one day when sitting on the toilet and it was bubs head moving a little lower.

betty.boop1 Guest

thanks isabeau for asking this iv been wanting to know. Does anyone know when abouts this usually happens?

Honestly, i didnt feel any different. Only knew he was engadged when the midwife told me. They can tell by feeling. Maybe ask them to show you at your next appointment. Jesse didnt start to get engadged until about 36 weeks and he was born 2 days over. It can happen at any time.. bubs can become ingadged when you go into labour.

I felt like I could actually breathe properly again - there was less pressure in my ribs.

I think my bub started to enage around 34 weeks and was born a bit before 39 weeks.

Isabeau Guest

I would ask the midwife but no more appointments til my due date and I'm hoping baby engages before then

Your baby will work it out. As Kell said, some babies aparently don't engage until you go into labour. Anyway, sending you lots of labour vibes - you don't have too much longer to wait by the sound of things...? All the best for your birth!

Isabeau Guest

Just 18 days until my due date
    Thanks I hope your vibes work lol

Last week my baby wasnt engaged at all - still floating around without a care in the world! Unfortunatley I dont think she has become engaged since then as she is still right up under my ribs - ouch!!!