Thread: how long can pre-labour last? weeks?

Question how long can pre-labour last? weeks?

I am 36weeks today and for the last week or two have been having loose bowel movements and relaxin type effects in my pelvis/groin causing achiness. The last few days I have been having period type pains on and off but not BH (havent ever had them). I also have little rushes of very clear CM which I dont think is a show or leak. All these things say "pre-labour" to me but I may be wrong. Anyhow, if it is, can it go on for weeks? How long did you feel this way? Am I being oversensitive and should just ignore it?
    (Local hospital wont deliver here under 37weeks)
    Sazz

SueB Guest

Sazzafrazz.... pre-labour pfft i am so over it :P

I have had pre-labour for 3 weeks already exactly as you described ...... but i guess it's good to finally hear from mummymel that i may have a quick second stage

My only concern now is i have had this pre-labour for so long that when it finally becomes real that i will dismiss it LOL ....

Hi Sazz, yes it does sound like pre labor and it can go on for several weeks. But don't worry, there is an up side. Normally women who experience a long period of pre labor go on to have short second stage labors. I had pre labor for several weeks, and had my son within 3 hours. But having said this, it's not always the case.

Thanks Mel, I have been comforting myself with that knowlege that if this goes on for 2 or three weeks that is a lot better than a 30hr labour!!! It really isnt too bad at the moment so I wont complain too much, I was just worried it might only last a little while longer and I dont want to deliver in Adelaide which I would have to if under 37wks.

Your very welcome, BTW, it sounds like you have an excellent attitude. It's always best to approach labor with a possitive outlook, even if things don't go according to plan, like bubs wanting to come early etc.
    Sometimes pre labor can go on for a long period of time, sometimes only for a couple of days. There is no way of knowing for sure. So, I hope for your sake little bubba can stay put for another week for two or three even. Good luck and I hope you enjoy and have a wonderful labor.

hi there, i had prelabour from about 35/36 weeks as well and then was induced at 39 weeks. i did however have a very short labour (2 1/2 hours) with a 12 min second stage (although it was my third baby). the prelabour is exhausting! but at least you know your body is getting geared up for the real thing. i think it would be more stressful if you didnt have any signs at all.

best wishes, how exciting that your little bubba will be here soon.

beccas

I had pre labour for 2 days with DD2 and ended up with a 10 hour labour.

DD2 i had pre labour for half a day and a 6 hour labour.

I had those particular pre labour symptoms starting slowly around 38 weeks, labour started spontaneously after 41 weeks.

Oh I remember the pre labour, mine started at around 37-38wks, and the day i had real labour pains, I went out shopping and visiting friends thinking it was the same old pre labour stuff! I went into spontaneous labour at 40w6d, Unfortunately for me, after about 24hrs or so I had an emergency c-section as my little princess had turned head up and was stuck!

Best of luck! PS - there is no mistaking the real thing once it kicks off!!

I also had a long pre-labour - about 3 weeks.
    Had regular BH about 5-7 minutes apart for the week leading up - now that was annoying.

And although you joke that you might dissmiss it! I did! when it was real i though oh it is those BH again and mosyed into the hospital. The contractions didnt get badly painful until 2 hours b4 dd was born. Up to midday i was walking around, laughin, talking etc

i had all the contractions in my back though not the front (which was the difference with the 3 weeks of bh) and i was 5cm dilated when the nurses said - oh they are prob BH - you should go home... i made them do an internal and they where like - wholy crap! we have to get you to the big hospital (as i am the same - small town - wouldnt deliver) and i only just made it when dd was born at 2pm (it is an hour and a half drive inthe ambulance to the big hospital).

So it was annoying to have all this prelabour and shows etc but great for a swifty birth!

I prelaboured for 4 weeks (32-36 weeks) and delivered at 36 weeks and 2 days. It's so variable, everybody and baby is different.

Prelabour for me was about 8 weeks (worse BH than usual, strong period cramps, severe nausea, weird cm...)

And then the 3 days of irregular constant contractions started (posterior!!!)

Got to the hospital and was 4cm's. Actual labour was 14 hours. Jasper arrived on his due date.

Have fun lol.

My BH are very frequent now, are quite strong and last for around a minute and I've had what could've been a show...but nothing more on that today. I did feel like a mild period-like cramping sensation this morning, but nothing since then.

Thanks everyone!
    I havent had any BH at all... just period pain. Nothing has changed for me so I think I may go on the same way for quite some time yet which is fine by me. Everyone keeps telling me it isnt convenient (DH bosses) for me to have the baby when it is due so if I can have it 3weeks early or 2weeks late it would suit them better. I wonder what the record for prelabour is? I think tracey might have the record so far!!!And tracey is the only person I know who has delivered on their due date too. Good work!

I had 2 weeks of pre labour then a 3 1/2 hour labour. It did take us a while to realise that this was really it and the baby was coming!

Sazz, I went into to pre term labour at 31 weeks (luckily they stopped it) and had pre labor (obviously) from then til he came at 38.5 weeks. Didn't become really serious until about 4 weeks before he came, when I lost my MP. But like I said earlier, it was 1am when I realised the pre labor had turned into labor then he was born at 4am. So good luck. Can't wait to hear how you go, you must keep us all up to date with everything