Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Many??? (Hospital bag Q)

Nothing is TMI on here Karina! That's just the sort of info I'm after, thanks heaps

Thanks everyone for your tips, they're very helpful for a first-timer like me!

Oh and BTW Tara, I don't think you're paranoid etc, I'd be exactly the same! NO ONE is staying here after I have bubs!

Oh god. I've got 3 packs of super-slims and DF is "allergic" to purchasing feminine hygeine products. I really hope its enough.

thanks all for your help.
    I had a look at the shops today - and nothing jumped out and said "maternity" although i was expecting something to say that that was what they where designed for.
    I think it was kotex (blue packet) had extra super ones, so figured that would have to do the job. I think i will get like 3 super duper packs, and then a couple of smaller normal ones. And lots of undies. I want to just chuck them out. I dont want someone else having to wash my blooded knickers. Esp for the first few days.

ETA - had a brain wave - i think it was Tena brand i seen at woolies.
    Last edited by ~Debbie~; April 18th, 2007 at 08:57 AM.

If you have a look at the back of the packs they give a "Rating" as to the flow they are good for... the Kotex ones (on the back) say "heavy" "Maternity" or something like that. If it helps, all the Kotex Mat ones I've seen recently have a Pumpkin Patch Comp logo on one corner. They are a rather thick pad but you will feel "secure" with them - trust me!

In regards to having someone else wash your bloody knickers... someone in my BB group (The Lovely Lil!) suggested taking some Sard Wondersoap with you so you can give them a quick scrub in the shower. This not only "protects" your undies if you do want to reuse them but also limits the embarrassment of someone else seeing them. I found it in a stick in the laundry aisle - kind of like a deodorant stick really! Less messy than the traditional soap bar and not as chunky as the spray bottle!

HTH

MG

Thanks MG - thats a good idea RE: stick.

Now keep an open mind when reading my suggestion. I have been told by heaps of women to pack the incontinence pants (Depend from the supermarket) for the first two days so you don't have to worry about leakage at all and no staining of knickers. Then when your bleeding settles down you can switch to pads. Any way just another suggestion to consider.

Dan, I was actually considering this, but because nobody had mentioned it, I thought that it won't work for some reason. Thanks for bringing it up, I might get myself a packet.

I've packed two packs of 10. One for during labour so after my waters break I'll be able to wear them and not have gushes running down my legs all the time and they are so easy to get off becuase all you have to do is tear down the sides and off they come. So easy. The second pack will be for the first few days. That's my plan and hopefully it will work but hey no loss if it doesn't. Anything is worth a try.

Good luck with bubby. Not long now.

whats the difference between incontinence pads and normal ones?

The incontinence pads that I've bought are like a pair of knickers not just pads. They have the "pad" from the top front to top back and the sides are elastic and material and you don't have to wear knickers with them. The one's I've got are Depend full brief type. You can get one's that have the pad from front to back and are held by two pieces of elastic (not for me). Apparantely they are really good because they are so long, cover and hold so much that you don't have leakage front, back or sides between our legs.
    They are in the same section as the normal pads so have a look next time you're shopping. They are more expensive than a pack of pads but you don't have to worry about staining your knickers.

i got you now. When i read your inital post, i didnt realise that you had got pants, and was all muddled up.
    Ended up buying yesterday 2 packs of Tena Extra Supa, and 1 pack of Stayfree maternity. And 10 pairs black huge full brief undies. I figure, if i go early, then they are the things i dont want anyone else to have to buy for me. Hopefully, that will do. If i rinse the undies out at the hospital, then DH washes them at home, at least the blood will be gone already, and he wont see the staining....not that i would really want to hang on to them - being as attractive as they are! NOT!!

oh yeah someone in hospital (i think?) told me about the incontience pads. Apparently theyre more soft than other pads, so if you have stitches, the softer pad might be nicer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12