Thread: how many movements

maggie Guest

Default how many movements

HI, I am coming up 29w and I would love to know how many movements should we feel a day , I have read/heard of many different theorys.

1. so many movements in a 12 hr period
    2. 10 movments in a 2hr period
    3. as long as movement being felt every few hrs , all is ok

I know this has been asked many many times, but just wondering for peace of mind what other people have read. And heard from their obs..

angelique Guest

Hi Maggie,

I think it is different for every baby. Generally I would just have something cold or sweet to drink and wait for movements within the half hour. My OB always told me to count at least 10 within 24 hours. I always made sure I felt 10 from about 9am-2pm. If not I would just use my doppler or if I was really worried I would take a trip to the hospital.

I would love to know too... My bub's seems very inactive, or I don't feel a lot of movements anyway... still haven't had any that hurt or anything... they are just gentle little taps coming from within!!!

Ive never really kept record but i know i feel bubs quite alot and then there are times i dont feel anything, when he must be sleeping. If time goes for a bit and i havent felt anything for longer than usual, i just kinda poke my tummy lightly and within a minute or 2 hes up and riggling again.
    Like the others have said,i dont think theres a set amount, every babys different and they lie in different positions..

tiggy Guest

We generally tell ladies in the third trimester, 10 good kicks in 24hours.

But, the most important thing is go with your gut instinct. Even if you are at all concerned, go get bubs checked out. It only takes a minute for a midwife to find a foetal heart. When you stress, it pumps cortisol through your system, which in turn causes baby to become sleepy and move less, and you stress out more,so it's a vicious circle.

I don't know how many kicks is good/normal but I have very varying days...most days my little boy kicks quite a lot and fairly hard (but it doesn't hurt) then other days he hardly seems to move (or perhaps I just don't notice it?). I hadn't felt him move most of yesterday because we were shopping and house cleaning but hopefully today will be a different story... I love feeling his 'kicks'...

I've noticed since about week 29 that bubs movements have been less. I went 4 days this week without even feeling a kick! I went to my doctor yesterday and he could feel movements by touching around, but I couldn't feel any, and he found the heartbeat straight away. My doctor has also said around 10 good kicks in 24 hours, and said if I'm at all worried, just go in and get bub checked out. At least if you do that then you get to hear bubs heartbeat and put your mind at ease.

maggie Guest

Thanks guys. i am defi feeling min of 10 kicks per 24 hr period. from the time i wake up til thr time i go to bed, there are heaps more then that.

Now just cant wait to see the belly moving full on..

i think our little one is going to be a dancer.
    she does not stop moving. i get the biggest kicks in the ribs. its so amazing watching my tummy move around all over the place. i can now actually feel her feet press into my hand when she kicks. its the best feeling in the world. sometimes i cant even sit up properly or lie on a certain side cause shes squashed herself in there somewhere. i need to pee like 10 times an hour too!! hehe

sellbee Guest

Im 32 weeks going into my 33 week...I have a few kicks this litle fella is really acitve I noticed alot of stretching movement and squirms as I think he is getting abit squashed in there...when a doctor says you need 10 good kicks I think that just means at least 10 movements every flutter, tap kick prod poke stretch, dancing ( on your bladder hee hee)???? That what I have been doing or counting ....the doctor/midwife always picks up a nice strong heartbeat so I guess everything is cool!!!