Thread: How many of you .. .

Default How many of you .. .

Have any of you had an ultrasound that predicted what your baby would weigh and at birth they were wrong and by how much?

I am curious to know, just so I am not worrying my head off.

I had this done at 35 weeks and the lady said my baby was below average for his weight and she looked very concerned which of course has had me worried ever since. Mind you the size of me and the feel of him sure does not feel little.

Anyone got a story to share ?

Pheen will be born by c-section in four days time and I hope he isnt as tiny as that women made out.

Zander was suppose to be around 7lb 3oz & he was born at 8lb 14oz so almost 2lb heavier.

storm04 Guest

My sister had a bub on the weekend she was told at her 36 week scan her baby was small (6lb which well isnt overly small really i guess thats just to me though)
    At her 39 week scan she was told he was 6lb8oz She had him three days later and he was 8lb9
    Maybe they are more so just a guideline but i had same experience with my last bubs and so did freind

Sarah_H wholy cow now that a difference! Little fatty boy! God love him!

storm04 6 is small to me! Only compared to my others, well my first was 6 pound 14oz. Another wholy crap case! I am in shock, I really am! So my little man might not be so little then! Hmmmmmm I mean so long as he is healthy thats all that matters, but she really did make out with the facial expressions and all that he was ever so tiny.

I had an ultrasound at 32 wks which estimated that at 32wks, bubs was weighing approx 3kgs (6lbs 6oz) ... so if he/she keeps growing at the same rate, who knows what the estimated birth weight would be!!!

Having said that, I have read research which compared estimated weights gained via (1) ultrasound, (2) fundal height and (3) an experienced obstetrician 'guessing' using touch. The most accurate turned out to be the experienced OB ... so I am determined not to worry at all about my u/s guesstimate ... I'll know how much my baby weighs after they're born

storm04 Guest

Maybe get another scan for peace of mind but just from my experience with friends etc they arent spot on (talking personal not professional exp here)
    Bubs can grow a fair bit in the last few weeks they say anyhow but i would be quizing to find out why she looked so concerned for my own piece of mind!

My bubs were tiny so 6lb i normal to me lol my biggest was 6'10 and my smallest 5'3 so i think i will freak if this one decides to be a whopper LOL

Good luck hope all goes well for you

Intrrsting!

Well at my last fundel height which was last week I was 38 weeks pregnant and fundel height was measuring 43 centimetres, not sure what that means. My midwife checks tummy and says, "Do oyu feel big with this one" i said absolutley and she said "Cause its a good size" with a face of , big baby, so I have no idea!

A friend of mine was told she should be having a c-section cos her baby was definitely at least 11 pounds. He ended up being born at 8.4 (sorry - don't know the kg equivalent!!) So I wouldn't worry too much - they really can only guess although with everything else they seem to be able to do these days, I'm sure it won't be long before we can get a set of scales in there to be sure!

Its all guess work really & like Cherie I agree... an experienced hand is best.

My u/s 2 days before my baby was born measured her at 11lb. She was 8lg 13oz... HUGE difference. She is/was very tall and since they only measure the bone length & head circumferance to find the weight, its never going to be spot on anyway. The OB who felt her 3 days before the birth said she felt like a 4kg baby...she was 4kg spot on.

LuluHB I guess its just frightening to the mother when told her baby is "Below Average" and may have some slight problems if that is so.

I wouldn't want scales in there, just some piece of mind that he will be ok and healthy, not aksing for much really.

I don't really trust even the medical field these days since there are so many cases of negligence, I only trust my childs life in the hands of god really. But this is my opinion only, I just don't trust them 100%. I walked into a hospital pregnant and walked out empty from a nurse 'Accidently" pulling my unborn fetus out by a hook. So that is why i have no faith in them anymore.

I asked my OB on Thursday what size bubs would be ... all he'd tell me was "Medium-large". Mind you, that's at 35 weeks. I just wanted to know if I should be buying 00000 size clothing or not!

I had a u/s done 2 days before Eleanor was born the u/s said she was 2.7kilos but she ended up being 3.050 kilos.
    They do tell you it is + or - 15%

It didn't happen to me but I honestly think it is a load of cr*p!

I had so many people telling my that my baby was too small because the bump was too small, what a happy, healthy boy at 8lb6! I needed a scan to prove the baby was big enough, but that just showed that the measurements were ok, the predicted weight wasn't anywhere near that big.

Well after reading all these it shows me it is all crap basically!

So now I just will wait and see, only 3 days till I know!

I had a scan at 36 weeks, where the radiographer said 'so when did you say you were due?...interseting we have you 3 weeks ahead of that'.

he went on to say Milo's estimated weight that day was at 8lb 14oz

and he did end up being 10lb 4oz.

HOwever, he didin't come 3 weeks early, he was induced at 10 days post dates.

i think its a load of crap. the last scan we had of abby couldnt even predict a weight for her and apparently she was just massive- too big to have and her measurements were all over the place ... she was only just over 4kg when born and perfectly in proportion might i add.

My ultrasound at 34 weeks put the baby then at 2.495kgs. The midwife said that at the current growth rate and assuming he's born on his due date I can expect him to be from 3.4 to 3.6 kgs. We'll see what he is in 4 weeks then!

She also said the margin of error can be up to + or - 15% but on my report she put down an error margin of 7%. Frankly, I'd rather have a 3.25kg baby than a 3.8'er!!!

I'm wondering how anything even a third that size could fit out of me!!!!!